• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch of the Lowes Ospreys 2009 (1 Viewer)

Hi all

Today was the first time i saw the chicks on the live web cam and i would like to know their names and how old are they. Last time i checked they were still eggs

Hi Adin,

Sorry, I didn't see you there just now. The elder (larger) one is "Oor Wullie" and as far as I know the little one was christened "Wee eck". Sadly the other little chick (which hatched the same day as the eldest) died a couple of weeks ago. Keep watching Adin, you never know what will happen next, though we've had enough drama for today for sure!

Sue.

Just viewed the link Tiger, but to be fair, the chick in that nest had a great advantage by being in a much more compact nest and knocked back onto a slope which meant he hardly needed to do anything but to simply roll back. Our littl'un was absolutely flat on it's back, in a large nest and nothing to help it.

I had to stop watching in the end and go on out, it was far too distressing and put me in the mind of sheep and the fact that if they fall onto their backs and aren't noticed, they soon die, and that's what I feared would happen here.

Thank the Lord that isn't the case and, hopefully all will be well in the morning. He'll need plenty of fish to help get all that wasted energy back!
I was delighted to read your "Oh Thank God. He's over everybody :)" Ann! It's the motherly feelings in us both, has to be!

Goodnight all, I need my sleep too now!

Sue

I know what you are saying Sue but that is the only video I had to hand. In my mind I have seen the situation many times before and in every case the chick has always righted itself. Now we can add the current case to the examples where this was the outcome too.

I couldn't see your clip Tiger. jy old gas powered PC is a bit strange like that.

I think Oor Wuliie (OW) found it hard yesterday as his body was on the outside of the cup with his head further down in the cup. He was like that for hours in the baking heat which was the worry for me. Anyhoo alls well that ends well. I think as far as flat on their back chicks OW has to have been one of the worst examples.

Will try and watch that link . What programme do you use to view it?

Hi all

Today was the first time i saw the chicks on the live web cam and i would like to know their names and how old are they. Last time i checked they were still eggs

Hello Adin and welcome to the thread. :)

This thread is devoted just to this year so for the whole history from mating to eggs being laid its all here. It makes interesting reading LOL.

The oldest chick is called Oor Wullie, The little one who died was Fat Boab. If you read the thread you will see he starved because of weather conditions here. The final chick which took 2 days to hatch is called Wee Eck. Its amazing that such an old female bird could have 3 healthy chicks. Sadly Mother nature took one from us.

The chicks names are from A Scottish cartoon strip. Last year they were called Bart (sole chick) and two eggs called Lisa and Maggie.

The thread from last year is also here for all to read and gives you the ups and downs of the year '08. I hope you find them interesting.

Keep watching Adin. 2 days are never the same.

latest excerpt from the diary at LotL

1 June 2009 Listen to the latest osprey diary
Our little chicks are growing up and have become little wild toddlers, learning to use their feet and move around the nest to the dismay of the mother. She has to continually come back and block the path of the chicks and force them back into the centre of the nest before they work their way over the edge. They are being typical kids, fighting each other until one backs down, usually the youngest, and goes into the submissive pose of lying down and not moving. The youngest one is fighting back and is becoming a lot more dominant, pushing itself into the front of the feeding queue to get the first dibs on food.

The male is bringing in lots of fish and both chicks and mother are being fed regularly. Although our chicks look a bit scraggy just now by next week we will be able to see their feathers emerging properly. The weather has been wonderful here and it is another scorching day, perfect for the chicks to get up to plenty of mischief. On Tuesday we had a very determined female osprey trying to take over the nest by continually swooping and trying to land on the nest but our female never lost sight of her and made sure she was unsuccessful in her attempts. We also had a bit of rivalry on Saturday when the male spotted another male fishing on the loch. As the intruder dived to catch a fish the male swooped in and stopped him then sent him on his way.

Our bird feeders are still away due to a sick greenfinch which appeared when we placed the feeders back outside but they will be replaced on Friday. Even though we do not have nuts out for the squirrels they know where we keep the food and have spent the last week making a hole in the lid and breaking into the bins to steel the nuts!

If you have ever wondered what the scratching noise on the osprey camera is then we recently found out. Our once fluffy microphone has now been stripped at the top and the fluff on the better-protected middle section is being removed by great tits to line their nests. We have a brilliant video of a great tit being caught in the act, stealing the microphone lining and there is a great twist at the end of the video which is sure to make you laugh. So if you are ever at the centre then be sure to watch our little clip before you leave to give you a wee smile for the day.

I couldn't see your clip Tiger. jy old gas powered PC is a bit strange like that.

I think Oor Wuliie (OW) found it hard yesterday as his body was on the outside of the cup with his head further down in the cup. He was like that for hours in the baking heat which was the worry for me. Anyhoo alls well that ends well. I think as far as flat on their back chicks OW has to have been one of the worst examples.

Will try and watch that link . What programme do you use to view it?

You need RealPlayer in order to view it.

Thank you very much Cosworthlady and Sue Wright for the information you gave me I really apprecieate it but mistakenly i posted in the wrong thread because the Osprey nest web cam i was seeing wasn`t the one of Loch of Lowes but the Loch of Garten one but now i found it and I am really enjoying it besides the Loch of Lowes and Loch of Garten Osprey web cams I am viewing a Kestrel Cam and a Goshawk one too.

http://www.dorsetwildlife.co.uk/kestrelcam.html

This the kestrel pair of Lorton Meadows

Regards Adin

Adin I watch my Loch of the Lowes. Loch garten, white tailed sea eagle (Best camera!!), Goshawk in the New Forest and a few feeder cams.

I have been away and missed the 'chick on its back' drama - thankfully. Fish at 9.35ish - Marge fed both chicks with care, moved round the nest to make sure they both got some. Chicks seem knackered!

We had a lovely visit to LOTL last Friday on the way home from Speyside. Marge was perched on the edge of the nest most of the time, and Homeric made an appearance, flying past the hide (and the nest). Marge was remarkably quiet, but the minute he appeared, she started nagging, and stopped when he disappeared again. We were then treated to a fly round by Marge too. It's such a beautiful spot for them to have their nest.

Alison

Last edited:
Names?

Hi, what are the names of these ospreys actually? I can find two names for the female: Marge and Magde. Homer is the male, I suppose they come from the Simpsons? :h?:

Hi, what are the names of these ospreys actually? I can find two names for the female: Marge and Magde. Homer is the male, I suppose they come from the Simpsons? :h?:

It all depends what site you read. Over at Hancock they call them Morag and Tam.

The male is actually called Stressed Eric by the staff at Loch of the Lowes. The don't have a name for the female which is a bit of a shame.

Last year I called them Marge and Homer which stuck. When i found out he was already named I changed it to Homeric. They had 3 eggs last year which were to be named Bart, Lisa and Maggie when hatched. Alas only Bart hatched. this year a few of us chose the chicks to be called after some characters in a Scottish cartoon strip called oor Wullie. there was to be oor wullie, fat boab and wee eck. Fat Boab sadly died but we still have OW and WE. No one else calls them these names I don't think. It was just for us here on BF.

Poor Homeric is waiting patiently by his Missus side for the remnants of his catch earlier. And she's giving him nothing LOL

Attachments

• untitleddwswsfwf.JPG
    untitleddwswsfwf.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 54
Sorry, but from here North I can't read these characters - "The Other Godmother @@8(l) (_8<(l") - they must have some meaning? :hi:

Sorry, but from here North I can't read these characters - "The Other Godmother @@8(l) (_8<(l") - they must have some meaning? :hi:

We been around this board a long time and characters grow up. Anne is called the Osprey Godmother for here dedication to the ospreys and hence the other character..........

Hi

There are two Anns that hang about these boards LOL.

Ann Chaplin is the Godmother. She loves the birds and has a passion for EJ at Loch garten.

I came to the boards much later than Ann Chaplin and adopted the Loch of the Lowes birds as my own as I have seen them in the flesh and am a member of the Scottish Wildlife Trust who keep the reserve where the nest is situated.

The @@@8(l) is simply text symbols for Marge Simpson and the (_8<(l) is text for Homer. thats all. Just a bit of fun.

I am Ann The OTHER Godmother as opposed to Ann Chaplin who is THEE Godmother :) (Thats just a smile LOL)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back