• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch of the Lowes Ospreys 2009 (1 Viewer)

Notice that Tiger has given us some facts on L Garten on that forum which I say thanks for but I have to say that these 2 (Marge & Homer ) at LOL take some beating as I also notice on RSPB Blog for Loch Garten mention of our smaller chicks and also about Odin (whom I do think is brill) catching 5 fish in a day Well I noticed Homer catch 6 one day this week and at least 4 the following day and remember the eel too, no bad for a 18 year old also doing some more housework much to Marge's disgust. And have you seen the size of the chicks I rest my case And finally to Majestic Marge well no more need to be said "The Queen".

Notice that Tiger has given us some facts on L Garten on that forum which I say thanks for but I have to say that these 2 (Marge & Homer ) at LOL take some beating as I also notice on RSPB Blog for Loch Garten mention of our smaller chicks and also about Odin (whom I do think is brill) catching 5 fish in a day Well I noticed Homer catch 6 one day this week and at least 4 the following day and remember the eel too, no bad for a 18 year old also doing some more housework much to Marge's disgust. And have you seen the size of the chicks I rest my case And finally to Majestic Marge well no more need to be said "The Queen".

Hi Elf

!!!! Just read the blog at Loch Garten !!!! Are they saying they reckon their chicks are better LOL. It doesn't matter whose chicks are bigger (different camera angles make the chicks look different sizes). Why is it a competition. We should be glad and happy that there are 5 new Ospreys in the world today. I feel they've had a right little dig at LotL on that blog.

Hail hail The Queen and her Consort.

Last edited:
Hi Elf

!!!! Just read the blog at Loch Garten !!!! Are they saying they reckon their chicks are better LOL. It doesn't matter whose chicks are bigger (different camera angles make the chicks look different sizes). Why is it a competition. We should be glad and happy that there are 5 new Ospreys in the world today. I feel they've had a right little dig at LotL on that blog.

Hail hail The Queen and her Consort.

I watch both webcams and follow the threads on here too, you cannot say one is better than the other as they are all fabulous in my opinion and the more we have the better.

I watch both webcams and follow the threads on here too, you cannot say one is better than the other as they are all fabulous in my opinion and the more we have the better.

I absolutely agree with you.

I just thought they were saying in their blog that our chicks were underfed and small when its probably due to different camera angles. LotL chicks look fine and large to me LOL.

I watch both nests but I favour SWT for a couple of reasons. I am a member and their sound is better for my ears. I use headphones and Garten isn't nice when its turned up LOL. EJ is beautiful to look at but I'd like to hear her too.

The more healthy ospreys we have hatch in this country the better. It would be a poorer world without the efforts of the RSPB and SWT and especially EJ and Odin and her Majesty and Homeric.

I absolutely agree with you.

I just thought they were saying in their blog that our chicks were underfed and small when its probably due to different camera angles. LotL chicks look fine and large to me LOL.

I watch both nests but I favour SWT for a couple of reasons. I am a member and their sound is better for my ears. I use headphones and Garten isn't nice when its turned up LOL. EJ is beautiful to look at but I'd like to hear her too.

The more healthy ospreys we have hatch in this country the better. It would be a poorer world without the efforts of the RSPB and SWT and especially EJ and Odin and her Majesty and Homeric.

Hi Ann

You are totally right as is cartman as both nests are the same, meaning the ospreys themselves anyhow, I only feel slightly more inclined to LOTL as I stay 30 mins away, am a member too and the ages of Marge & Homeric amazes me all that back and forth to Africa, all them chicks ,eggs. Plus their camera is better as moves and sound is awful om Garten (right click to turn it off )

Liked how you called Marge " Her Majesty "

Elf

Last edited:
Hi Ann

You are totally right as is cartman as both nests are the same, meaning the ospreys themselves anyhow, I only feel slightly more inclined to LOTL as I stay 30 mins away, am a member too and the ages of Marge & Homeric amazes me all that back and forth to Africa, all them chicks ,eggs. Plus their camera is better as moves and sound is awful om Garten (right click to turn it off )

Liked how you called Marge " Her Majesty "

Elf

I should have made her Your Marjesty ;)

Hi, to this lovely Ospreys nest. The life goes well at this very moment.:))

Have anybody heard from the swan on the lake district, it had something wrong with his neck? Is it in good healthy now?

Last edited:

Have anybody heard from the swan on the lake district, it had something wrong with his neck? Is it in good healthy now?

Welcome to Birdforum. I see you are from Finland. Do you watch the wonderful Finnish webcams at Nauvo (currently not working) and Hailuoto?

Hi, Tiger_mz!

Yes, the Hailuoto is my "homenest", although I live in Helsinki.
And news about Seili, that I am watching too.:)):
At 23.th of May a thunderstorm hit near by the osprey couple’s nest in the island of Seili. The camera got broken and unfortunately can’t be fixed until in the end of June or early July when the newly hatched chicks will be banded.

Do you know something about the swan?

Hi, Tiger_mz!

At 23.th of May a thunderstorm hit near by the osprey couple’s nest in the island of Seili. The camera got broken and unfortunately can’t be fixed until in the end of June or early July when the newly hatched chicks will be banded.

Yes we have been watching the Seili nest since 2006. They are both great cams.

Not sure what you mean by the swan. Yes I do have a family of nine cygnets in my local pond.

Hello all.

Just returned from a great trip to the highlands which took in 3 separate nesting pairs of Ospreys- including LOTL.

Great staff at the visitor centre there & the nest camera looks amazing in High Def. Will be keeping in touch via the web-cam & this thread so keep up the great work.

Cheers Mick

Hello all.

Just returned from a great trip to the highlands which took in 3 separate nesting pairs of Ospreys- including LOTL.

Great staff at the visitor centre there & the nest camera looks amazing in High Def. Will be keeping in touch via the web-cam & this thread so keep up the great work.

Cheers Mick

Welcome to the thread Mick. We're all a bit Osprey daft here. If you spot anything even small things on the web cam post what you see. It makes a difference for anybody who can't see the webcam all the time. I feel i have posted half of the posts in this thread but at least its a record of what happened and when LOL.

If you've got any more details about the swan and how you heard about it originally I'll see if I can google something for you. Apart from that the Lake District is a long way from me so I can't go and check. the Lake District is quite a large area.

Hi, Tiger_mz!

Hi Elanor, pleased to meet you. I also love the two Finnish cams and like Tiger, have been following them closely for a few years now. So sad about the Seili cam, we are missing so much. I hope they are doing well and that the chicks have hatched and are thriving :)
You put me to shame, your English is excellent and here am I speaking no Finnish :(

Last edited:
Hi Elanor, pleased to meet you. I also love the two Finnish cams and like Tiger, have been following them closely for a few years now. So sad about the Seili cam, we are missing so much. I hope they are doing well and that the chicks have hatched and are thriving :)
You put me to shame, your English is excellent and here am I speaking no Finnish :(

Good Mornig!

Jus now came Homer with fish!!

I jus wonder...do you know this Web-cam-size in Estonia?:

http://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=107

Hi!!

They seem to be so healthy, the bouth of chicken I mean! And the youngest is now trong too:t: I love to look at them, and the whole nestlife there!

Last edited:
Just realised I forgot to post what I saw happen at the nest yesterday evening.

At 19.03 HomEric arrived with a fish which the family all tucked into. I wasn't watching closely (watching too many things at the same time) but three minutes later (19.06), Marge started nagging again and looked up and HomEric appeared again on the nest with another fish!!!!!!! He seemed to drop it onto the nest and it landed between the chicks flapping about.

Now if that wasn't exciting enough, at 19.13, he appeared again with yet another fish! I could not believe what I was seeing!

He then proceeded to bring another one at 21.20 and 22.12!!

Last edited:

At 19.03 HomEric arrived with a fish which the family all tucked into. I wasn't watching closely (watching too many things at the same time) but three minutes later (19.06), Marge started nagging again and looked up and HomEric appeared again on the nest with another fish!!!!!!! He seemed to drop it onto the nest and it landed between the chicks flapping about.

Now if that wasn't exciting enough, at 19.13, he appeared again with yet another fish! I could not believe what I was seeing!

Wow that is fantastic!! I wonder how many he caught all day?. Maybe the staff/volunteers will know. No wonder they all looked like little bloaters this morning LOL.

Thank you very much for posting because I was out and in all day yesterday.

What a hero he is

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back