• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch of the Lowes Ospreys 2009 (1 Viewer)

Good mornig, and thank you, Cosworthlady, bringing the 22. days diary hier.

When I started to follow the developmentof this ospreys, I read the diarys, wihch are informative and full of love to this birds! Are you the author of the diary?

But this I have not internalized:
"The youngest chick was one month old on the 20 June and even though it is the younger osprey, it is the more dominant of the two and gets fed the most fish."

Now when I assumed that the chick with red-brown hair was the older...so that was miscalculated.?:)

No I don't write the diary. Its written by the staff at the Loch. Usually the Warden.

The younger chick is by far the most dominant now although to be honest i find it hard to tell the difference LOL. I need a better graphics card for my PC if there is such a thing. I think the turning point for the younger sibling was the day the older one got stuck in its back for a few hours in the sweltering heat and needed time to recover. Since that day the youngest one (Wee Eck) has come on in leaps and bounds.

Nice hearing from you.

Over on the RSPB Loch Garten blog there is a post which suggests that Eric is a son of Ollie the legendary Loch Garten osprey. Does anyone know if this is true?

See post by Lamarck at http://blogs.rspb.org.uk/lochgarten...s-this_2E002E002E002E002E002E002E002E00_.aspx

I have no idea but if it is its fantastic that Ollie lives on. Maybe thats why he's such a good reliable mate. Any idea on how we can find out Tiger? Would Loch garten be able to help. Someone somewhere keeps records of ringed birds and who the parents were surely.

Just in case no one has seen the LG Log here is the post linked by Tiger. Thanks for it Tiger. Made me really happy.

Lamarck said

23 June 2009 23:32

JennyW & Tiger: Interesting to see you're discussing Ollie. He meant much to me as I did a series of stints as a volunteer from the late 80s until the mid nineties. Ollie arrived in 1990 but was obviously a young inexperienced bird (no leg ring) and didn't provide enough food so the year was a failure. I remember him coming in with a fish on occasions but being unwilling to let go of it, and after a tug of war flying off with it again.

However in 1991 he returned and was simply amazing, lots of fish and even on occasions feeding the chicks himself. I remember he also spent quite a lot of time on the nest. All this stood him in good stead two years later when his mate disappeared after becoming entangled in fishing line (!) and he raised the chicks himself, although I seem to remember they were fairly well developed when she died, perhaps about the age of our current brood.

I was told after he finally returned no more that he'd successfully raised 23 chicks during his time at Loch Garten, most of them with Olive who joined him the year following the tragedy.

Many will know that one of his chicks from his first successful year in 1991 is Eric, who's now in his 15th year as the Loch of the Lowes male. Eric at 18 is pretty old, but his mate is even older at 24 (18 years at LoL) and is said to be the oldest osprey in Scotland. Reports vary but she's raised over 40 chicks, well over 30 of them with Eric. Earlier this year this appeared on BBC Scotland: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7995593.stm.

To think that I watched Ollie feed Eric as a chick is very moving to me. I'd love to know how many of Ollie's descendants are breeding around Scotland. Perhaps somebody at Loch Garten has an idea?

Finally, Odin's doing a super job this year and is also a very endearing osprey so I hope he'll go on to become one of LG's legends. But I also hope that people realise what a privilege it is to be able to see one more year (perhaps the last) of a truly great osprey pairing at the Loch of the Lowes.

PS I hope its not the last. Long Live M & H

" But I also hope that people realise what a privilege it is to be able to see one more year (perhaps the last) of a truly great osprey pairing at the Loch of the Lowes."

Yes, we are many, many observers, who has los his/hers heart to Marge and Erik and the chicks too:)) The hole biography of this two ospreys has vin our respeckt.:))) And this birdforum is great!

And I am personally glad I did find this nest, and this pages.))

I have no idea but if it is its fantastic that Ollie lives on. Maybe thats why he's such a good reliable mate. Any idea on how we can find out Tiger? Would Loch garten be able to help. Someone somewhere keeps records of ringed birds and who the parents were surely.

Just in case no one has seen the LG Log here is the post linked by Tiger. Thanks for it Tiger. Made me really happy.

With a bit of luck we may know soon :)

Well we already knew the answer. Over at Loch Garten Bloggers Alison reported:

I've got a reply from LOTL!

" 'Eric’ was originally thought to be from Loch Garten before we could see his ring number properly with our high definition camera, but as it turns out he is from Glenshee. So the birdforum poster is indeed correct.
Hope that clears it up for you! "

So he's not Ollie's son:(

" 'Eric’ was originally thought to be from Loch Garten before we could see his ring number properly with our high definition camera, but as it turns out he is from Glenshee. So the birdforum poster is indeed correct.

Aw well. Whoever his parents were they brought him up well. He's a gent on the whole and a great mate and parent. Would have been great to have had that link to Ollie though.

I think you might mean me when you said about the birdforum poster

Believe me I have asked loads about Homeric and I was told the 1st time I was there,actually the day he arrived back on the sunday this year where he was ringed and they told me then so I was kind of confused when I saw all this on the forum I thought they had been telling me tales at LOTL

I acutally know the nest in Glenshee

Elf

I think you might mean me when you said about the birdforum poster

Believe me I have asked loads about Homeric and I was told the 1st time I was there,actually the day he arrived back on the sunday this year where he was ringed and they told me then so I was kind of confused when I saw all this on the forum I thought they had been telling me tales at LOTL

I acutally know the nest in Glenshee

Elf

Hi Elf, I did mean you! It was me who posted on the LG Blog about it!

When I read the original posting, it confused me as I knew I had read about it on here and that he was not born at LG, so I looked back and found your post, and then emailed LOTL to confirm it before making the post on the LG Blog!

I assume the confusion is because Homeric's leg ring could be a "B" or "8" - which is it, as I can never remember?

Alison

No I don't write the diary. Its written by the staff at the Loch. Usually the Warden.

The younger chick is by far the most dominant now although to be honest i find it hard to tell the difference LOL. I need a better graphics card for my PC if there is such a thing. I think the turning point for the younger sibling was the day the older one got stuck in its back for a few hours in the sweltering heat and needed time to recover. Since that day the youngest one (Wee Eck) has come on in leaps and bounds.

Nice hearing from you.

:) Thank You, nice to be hier, and how kind of You to ansver all my many questions.;)

Is this Wee Eck the name to the youngest? I have not seen it earlier, I mean do not remember:) And my english is not so many-sided, so I have to ask: Wee is tiny, but this Eck can´t be found in my dictionary!:):'D

Hi Elf, I did mean you! It was me who posted on the LG Blog about it!

When I read the original posting, it confused me as I knew I had read about it on here and that he was not born at LG, so I looked back and found your post, and then emailed LOTL to confirm it before making the post on the LG Blog!

I assume the confusion is because Homeric's leg ring could be a "B" or "8" - which is it, as I can never remember?

Alison

Hi Alison

I have the Roy Dennis book " A life of Ospreys " (great book by the way) and in it he has tables of all the ospreys breeding at Loch Garten and Loch of the Lowes from 1968 - 2007 in Lowes case & 1954-2007 in Loch Garten case also which male and female it was ,how many eggs laid how many hatched and how many fledged etc..... now according to him the the male (Homeric) breeding since 1994 at LOTL is know as green 8

This book is worth buying if you love Ospreys

Elf

Really love the quote at the end of your blog. Who said it?
Kind regards
Mauree McCann (New to Forum)

Hi Freda.. Welcome to the BF LotL thread. Its my home from home in the summer LOL.

Do you mean the blog from the staff at the Loch or my signature at the bottom of all my postings? If its my signature I have no idea. It was something someone had sent me and it meant so much to me as I've lost so many pets. Sometimes when I read it I still get a lump to my throat.

Hi Alison

I have the Roy Dennis book " A life of Ospreys " (great book by the way) and in it he has tables of all the ospreys breeding at Loch Garten and Loch of the Lowes from 1968 - 2007 in Lowes case & 1954-2007 in Loch Garten case also which male and female it was ,how many eggs laid how many hatched and how many fledged etc..... now according to him the the male (Homeric) breeding since 1994 at LOTL is know as green 8

This book is worth buying if you love Ospreys

Elf

What a great book by the sounds of it.

You really really do like your ospreys don't you?

I'm planning on going to the Loch either 2moro or Sunday so I'll maybe see you there.

:) Thank You, nice to be hier, and how kind of You to ansver all my many questions.;)

Is this Wee Eck the name to the youngest? I have not seen it earlier, I mean do not remember:) And my english is not so many-sided, so I have to ask: Wee is tiny, but this Eck can´t be found in my dictionary!:):'D

Hello Elanor,

Wee Eck is indeed the youngest if not biggest now.

Wee means small so you are right. Eck is just a shortened version of the name Alec .

Some of us here named them after a scottish cartoon strip called Oor Wullie hence the oldest chick, first hatched, is called Oor Wullie.

Here is a link to the cartoon. Oor Wullie is a scottish national treasure ha ha ha.

http://www.thatsbraw.co.uk/Oor Wullie/OW-Page.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oor_Wullie

What a great book by the sounds of it.

You really really do like your ospreys don't you?

I'm planning on going to the Loch either 2moro or Sunday so I'll maybe see you there.

Hi Ann

Not sure but I might be at Loch on Sunday and by the way they were selling that book that I mentioned at the centre so you can at least get a peep at it

Elf

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back