• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch of the Lowes Ospreys 2009 (2 Viewers)

Hi Alison

I have the Roy Dennis book " A life of Ospreys " (great book by the way) and in it he has tables of all the ospreys breeding at Loch Garten and Loch of the Lowes from 1968 - 2007 in Lowes case & 1954-2007 in Loch Garten case also which male and female it was ,how many eggs laid how many hatched and how many fledged etc..... now according to him the the male (Homeric) breeding since 1994 at LOTL is know as green 8

This book is worth buying if you love Ospreys

Elf

Thanks Elf. I do have the book which is so good - I thought I'd looked there but must have missed it! I would recommend the book to anyone - it's full of lots of information.

What a great book by the sounds of it.

You really really do like your ospreys don't you?

I'm planning on going to the Loch either 2moro or Sunday so I'll maybe see you there.

It is a great book. I have a copy right beside me as well as a few other great osprey books.

Thank you, Cosworthlady, for the history of the names. I put those links to Finnish Loch of Lowes-sides ;)

Flyingexercises are going now very often...they are so eager to do that :) it is lovely! :)

Last edited:
Hi, vivster!

Wee Eck and Oor Wullie are just "teatchin" their wings how to do that movement in balance with both wings...and they are doin it very well.
;) Well, In Finland ospreys can fly about 8 veeks old...so hier would it be in the middle of July.:))
But they are still coming back to nest, where male is bringin still two or three weeks food for them.:) Untill they can catch their own fish!

So lovely close-ups today of heir heads, big eyes, and how they were looking with intrest something:)

Last edited:
how many days or wk does any one know before thay fly off....

They usually fledge between 50 to 57 days after hatching. The first chick hatched on 16th May. Thus we reach 50 days on 5th July. I guess we can expect a fledge any time from then on. I have seen a fledge on 49 days so I guess 4th July is possible.

The latest fledge I have seen is 66days.

Hi, vivster!

Wee Eck and Oor Wullie are just "teatchin" their wings how to do that movement in balance with both wings...and they are doin it very well.
;) Well, In Finland ospreys can fly about 8 veeks old...so hier would it be in the middle of July.:))
But they are still coming back to nest, where male is bringin still two or three weeks food for them.:) Untill they can catch their own fish!

So lovely close-ups today of heir heads, big eyes, and how they were looking with intrest something:)

;) Yes, the middle of July is too large-mined expression! The youngs can not wait so long::)) The week 28 is good, and that is 8 week too.:))

It is so wonderfull to see that happen...and perhaps already on the 4th July!! Thank you Tiger_mz

Last edited:
Do I see right? One of the youngs is eating herself! Yes!! And Marge is talking something!!

Last edited:
I noticed on Thursday (25th) that one of the chicks was trying to peck the food from under Mums feet. Its a good sign. :) Now all they have to do is master flying, taking off, landing and fishing. Not a lot really is it? GULP!

chicks are showing a great deal of interest in whats off the nest. Both of them. Want to shout to get away from the edge. It tooooo early yet.

I noticed on Thursday (25th) that one of the chicks was trying to peck the food from under Mums feet. Its a good sign. :) Now all they have to do is master flying, taking off, landing and fishing. Not a lot really is it? GULP!

Yes, isn´t it miraculous? And actually they can all that, they are born for that all, question is just maturation, timeing and then it goes naturally!:))

Yes, isn´t it miraculous? And actually they can all that, they are born for that all, question is just maturation, timeing and then it goes naturally!:))

It is indeed a miracle. The going to Africa and back every year god spare them is the 8th wonder of the world to me. Ospreys and swifts make me appreciate what nature does for us.

It is indeed a miracle. The going to Africa and back every year god spare them is the 8th wonder of the world to me. Ospreys and swifts make me appreciate what nature does for us.

:)) We have being discussing that matter of migration, which is so unavoidable and facinated ...why they have to go to Afrika, or somewere else, why they cam back to LOL or Hailuoto...and we came to the conclusion that it has to do someting or everythin about the balance between natur and human being. And the human being is not taking so good care of his part of this balance.:(

:)) We have being discussing that matter of migration, which is so unavoidable and facinated ...why they have to go to Afrika, or somewere else, why they cam back to LOL or Hailuoto...and we came to the conclusion that it has to do someting or everythin about the balance between natur and human being. And the human being is not taking so good care of his part of this balance.:(

Some of the Finnish ospreys go to South Africa. Look at Harri. See http://www.fmnh.helsinki.fi/english/zoology/satelliteospreys/2002/harri.htm

Also see this bird in South Africa on 16 March 2008. See http://www.ospreys.org.uk/Images08/osprey-SAfrica.jpg and full page http://www.ospreys.org.uk/Archives/ObserverApril2008.htm

Last edited:
Some of the Finnish ospreys go to South Africa. Look at Harri. See http://www.fmnh.helsinki.fi/english/zoology/satelliteospreys/2002/harri.htm

Also see this bird in South Africa on 16 March 2008. See http://www.ospreys.org.uk/Images08/osprey-SAfrica.jpg and full page http://www.ospreys.org.uk/Archives/ObserverApril2008.htm

Yes, thank you, Tiger_mz, I do know that and ospreys from Hailuoto are flying to Niger-river. I was talkin about birds generaly.

This apua apus, swifts are in South Afrika too.:))

Look at the "baby". My how he/she has grown....

Hi Godmothers, Tiger and all,

Well had a great holiday both bird watching (Titchfield Heaven near Portsmouth oops I mean Haven |:D| )and with family including grand kids. Unfortunately holiday ended with a bit of drama as my wife became ill on drive home Saturday and has just been discharged tonight. All is well now though and hopefully we will catch up with the Osprey's over next few days.

The thread has been very active I see and this seemed best quote from the short look I have had. They do seem to have grown glad to be back for them fledging.

Hi!

That I thought I saw:

Marge has brought some moss to nest in the morning, she wanted the chicks to do something...And she lift up the feather of the young...but it did not like that, and it started to peck Marge, that direction at least...what was going on there??

Last edited:
Hi!

That I thought I saw:

Marge has brought some moss to nest in the morning, she wanted the chicks to do something...And she lift up the feather of the young...but it did not like that, and it started to peck Marge, that direction at least...what was going on there??

Maybe I have estimated it wrong...what I have seen today, everything is ok! Ther are food enough, they have practicin their wings...2X o:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back