• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

London Gulls (1 Viewer)

navybloke

United Kingdom
Afternoon all. I’ve recently returned to birding after a three-decade layoff, and after another morning struggling with juvenile and 1st-winter Herring Gulls on my local patch (Ruislip Lido) I’ve realised that I need some help. I’ve read about London’s status as a hotspot for Caspian and Yellow-Legged Gulls and would really like to join any local experienced gull-watchers for a day or two to get some ‘in the field’ advice at a decent roost or riverside/landfill location. Happy to travel and fit in with anyone’s schedules - and supply copious tea/coffee as required! Thanks in advance for any help!

Maybe no one is in your area to respond. Why not go to the your birding day section and highlight you plight in identification there. Lots more visit and may be able to help
Good luck in your search for Caspian and Yellow legs. They’re on our list too. 👍

BTW the BTO have two Wednesday Gull identification training sessions during November. Check out their website if intereste. 👍

Maybe no one is in your area to respond. Why not go to the your birding day section and highlight you plight in identification there. Lots more visit and may be able to help
Good luck in your search for Caspian and Yellow legs. They’re on our list too. 👍

BTW the BTO have two Wednesday Gull identification training sessions during November. Check out their website if intereste. 👍
Many thanks for the response, Reesyd. Some of the best winter spots in the country for Caspian and Yellow-Legged are within an hour of my doorstep so I know there are committed gull-watchers in the area. I guess they’re just shy!

I’d spotted that BTO two-part course and will be doing it this month - thanks for the tip-off, though.

The irony…I saw my first Yellow-Legged Gull (a nice easy adult bird) on Pitsford Reservoir two days ago! Now for the harder ones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back