• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long shot ID ideas, UK Yorkshire (1 Viewer)

No, it was in Doncaster, off Bawtry Road, very near the airport. Were you thinking of the Fairburn Ings birds?

Have looked into Bittern, it was similar but description of Night Heron beak sloping down is more accurate than Bittern's which slopes upwards. Also large feet trail behind Bitterns whereas it (Collins) says that a Night Heron's may not be noticeable. Having said that, Potteric Carr is not a million miles away and I've seen plenty of Bitterns there. I could not rule out Bittern 100%, Night Heron just fits what I saw better.
I did get pretty good views despite the dawn light. What I need to work on is when I see something different, resisting the urge to flap around, saying to myself what is it, what is it, is it a ..., is it a ...? I need to start being a bit more logical and taking note of all the features that may allow me to ID it a bit better.
Needless to say it wasn't there this morning.

There are night herons at Lotherton Hall nr Wetherby which have notoriously escaped frequently and which initially provoked scepticism about the wild status of the birds along the Aire near Castleford. Bawtry Road makes Bittern a very strong possibility.

Hi Jenza,

I seriously doubt that you can safely identify the bird you saw by this process of retrospective elimination.

Each common species that seems to be a candidate you have ruled out because you know them "very well". If you know Grey Heron, Buzzard, Oystercatcher and Cormorant all "very well", then I would expect you to be able to tell us what family of birds this one was part of - ie. it was a heron but not Grey, it was an owl, it was a raptor etc.

So my suggestion is that either you just didn't see this bird well enough to identify it or you don't know these common birds quite as well as you think you do.

Cheers,

This is a bit harsh, BB. There's obviously a lot of truth in what you say and, of course, there's a huge benefit to the studied approach to ID of experienced birders, but Jenny's approach is the way most people, and non-expert birders, perceive and describe birds. They know what they know and in a way they can't verbalise clearly or technically, they know this bird was different. In fact this 'zen ID' is what we all use all the time and that the learned analytical approach is only used once something is identified as anomalous.

Sometimes, of course, you're right - they're just common birds in unfamiliar contexts, but frequently the observant lay person is on to something. A significant number of vagrants are initially spotted by lay people who have a good eye for the unusual. My mum's always doing this - it really frustrates me - but some of her apparently vague and long-winded descriptions of 'funny birds' have turned out, from photos, subsequent searches, or local gen, to be unconventional but accurate descriptions of Shorelark, Great Grey Shrike, Goshawk and Hen Harrier.

Graham

Fair enough Graham. I'm obviously having a grumpy morning and I apologise to Jenza if it was rude.

However I did use the word "safely" meaning that this bird cannot be identified because there are (I presume) no notes and no sketch. Retrospective recall of features just doesn't work. And "zen" ID by non-expert birders is very often mistaken and almost always unproven/unprovable (with obvious exceptions - like your mum!)

Cheers,

This is a bit harsh, BB. There's obviously a lot of truth in what you say and, of course, there's a huge benefit to the studied approach to ID of experienced birders, but Jenny's approach is the way most people, and non-expert birders, perceive and describe birds. They know what they know and in a way they can't verbalise clearly or technically, they know this bird was different. In fact this 'zen ID' is what we all use all the time and that the learned analytical approach is only used once something is identified as anomalous.

Sometimes, of course, you're right - they're just common birds in unfamiliar contexts, but frequently the observant lay person is on to something. A significant number of vagrants are initially spotted by lay people who have a good eye for the unusual. My mum's always doing this - it really frustrates me - but some of her apparently vague and long-winded descriptions of 'funny birds' have turned out, from photos, subsequent searches, or local gen, to be unconventional but accurate descriptions of Shorelark, Great Grey Shrike, Goshawk and Hen Harrier.

Graham

Bitterns are usually reckoned to look like a short-eared owl in flight, and the few I have seen flying confirm this. I wouldn't describe their flight as stiff-winged. I've seen a lot of night herons in flight (they are active in the day also) and they are so stiff they look almost like mechanical toys that have taken to the air.

One of the defining differences (to me) between little egret and cattle egret is the stiff flight action of the latter. I would say that night heron is even stiffer than cattle egret.

Well as has been said, I will never know for sure what it was I saw. I described it as best I could and appreciate the apology Steve. Graham summed it up perfectly when he said that I don't have 'the studied approach to ID of experienced birders'. I go out birding whenever I can but I am not a twitcher although I would love to see some of the birds that arrive in the country. I haven't ever had the experience of regularly seeing rare birds and using more advanced ID skills. I do however have quite a lot of experience of seeing more common birds although again my descriptions are very untechnical. I know that everyone on here has a different level of expertise and I will be among the least experienced but when I say I know such birds as Oystercatchers, Lapwings, Cormorants, Grey Herons and Buzzards I mean it and appreciate those of you who believe what I say. I see most of these birds very frequently.
Any way, thank you all for your comments. I am pretty sure it must have been Night Heron or Bittern, Bittern seems most likely for the area but Night Heron fits my sighting and description best.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back