• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long staying rarities (1 Viewer)

Forsters Tern, Holyhead in the mid 80's, Oriental Pratincole, Norfolk in 93, breeding B W Stilts, Holme & nobody has mentioned this years Rufous Turtle Dove.

Mike.

Pallas's Sandgrouse, though I doubt anyone here would have seen the stayers. Can't be many examples of crippling vagrants that have stayed and bred (not counting Albert ogling Gannets here)

James...The Least tern at Rye Harbour was accepted but only as a subspecies of Little Tern. The BOURC-TSC being, I think, isolated in their view, among taxonomic authorities, as not accepting antillarum as a species.

cheers Bob, my brain must be failing me. I had it in my head that the west African race of little tern hadn't been ruled out, but can't say I'm always on top of these things.

Wonder how long the house crow will stay? I presume until it dies, unless it boards another boat!

cheers Bob, my brain must be failing me. I had it in my head that the west African race of little tern hadn't been ruled out, but can't say I'm always on top of these things.

Wonder how long the house crow will stay? I presume until it dies, unless it boards another boat!

James...You were right that the possibility of west African race of Little Tern had held the record up.This was dismissed after recordings of the west African subspecies had been obtained.On the House Crow, this could be an
extreme stayer.

Baird's Sandpiper at Staines years ago stayed a while a believe...?

And I don't think the North Wales Black Scoter has been mentioned yet as a returner?

Edit...Or indeed the now partially sighted from 'torching' Scops in Oxfordshire :t:

Last edited:
As far as is possible to tell, it is. Presumably it is the same bird seen every few months at Tacumshin (June/July) and Gormanstown (Meath/late summer-autumn). I think its been around since 2005 or 2006.

It may not be. There has to have been at least 2 birds at some point. In January 2008 there was one in Wexford and one in Galway on the same date.

Owen

`Larry the Laugher, Newcastle General Hospital. A returner`

my first serious twitch) I was 13.

I would say Percy the pelican in the 70s, but thats not accepted, for reasons that dont make sense imo.

In Iceland we have had a drake Steller's Eider in the same location since 1998 and a female in another location since 2002. If only we could introduce them.

Not so rare, but out-stripping even Sammy is the Iceland Gull in Ayrshire - 21 years now and still counting....

Methusela the New Brighton Iceland Gull topped that... but I'll have to go out and work out just how many.

edit: 21 years,but started as a 4th winter

Last edited:
Methusela the New Brighton Iceland Gull topped that... but I'll have to go out and work out just how many.

edit: 21 years,but started as a 4th winter

Indeed Jane, first seen I believe in 1955 at New Brighton shore, then annually( with occasional visits over the river to Seaforth) until its last sighting at Seaforth on 4th May 1985.

Though for only 16 days the Paddyfield warbler that was very easily seen at Torness i Lothian in 2005 was pretty good value

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back