• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

looking for Bino Rec (1 Viewer)

wbusby1

United States
Hi,

Looking to get a pair of decent bino's that won't have to be upgraded too soon.
I am near-sighted and wear glasses. Not sure exactly how this factors in, my father who is an avid birder tossed the word "interorbital distance" tossed around.
I was thinking 180-700 USD, ideally on the lower-mid side of that range.
Was thinking 7x or 8x magnification

Any recommendations or advice?

If you are just nearsighted and have no other need for glasses you won't technically need to wear them to use binoculars provided they have enough focus past infinity to accommodate your vision. That being said, if you prefer to keep the glasses on you should be sure the binoculars have at least 15mm of eye relief (I am sure other members who actually wear glasses could comment on specific models).

7 or 8x is a good choice, much more options at 8x so you are probably looking at a 8x32 or 8x42 depending on weather you prefer smaller size/weight or easier use and a brighter image at dawn and dusk.

As for specific midels, you are sure to get many recommendations posting here (maybe more than you bargained for) but my biggest advice would be try before you buy if possible or buy from somewhere with a generous return policy. In the US hunting outlets like Cabela's will have an optics counter, overseas you may find some at astronomy or photography shoos. Good luck!

This I would recommend

Eye relief 17mm
Exit pupil 6mm
Linearbfield of view 140/1000 m/m

Jorge Rademann
Thanks for the recommendation Jorge,

They look good. My only concern is that seller seems to sell fancy antique/vintage stuff where the price is more for the artifact status. Is the cost of those going to translate into a great working tool or am I better spending less money on a newer pair?

Anyone care to suggest which is better for the money/me between the Leica 7x42 BA, Svbony sv202 8x42ED, and the Oberwerk 8x32 SE? I like the idea of 7x42 but am a bit hesitant that I'm buying an antique and name brand at that price compared to these other two options. The Oberwerk's appeal to me on looks and that I can buy direct from Oberwerk and not overseas and through amazon for Svbony.

The Leica is undoubtedly the nicest but I am skeptical it is worth that price. At that price I would consider a nikon monarch HG, Zeiss conquest HD (can usually be had for not much more on sale new), or fujinon HC. I think the oberwerk SE is a good option for much less.

The Leica is undoubtedly the nicest but I am skeptical it is worth that price. At that price I would consider a nikon monarch HG, Zeiss conquest HD (can usually be had for not much more on sale new), or fujinon HC. I think the oberwerk SE is a good option for much less.
Ok, I'll make a lower offer on the Leica and if that isn't met I'll go with the oberwerks. Thanks for the help!

For the middle of your range

$400

For the top of your range

$700

If you feel like experimenting, there's these recently released bins but they only come in 10x

And a "bonus" fun pair (have to use google translate on the website)

There are many great options available. It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

Thanks for the recommendation Jorge,

They look good. My only concern is that seller seems to sell fancy antique/vintage stuff where the price is more for the artifact status. Is the cost of those going to translate into a great working tool or am I better spending less money on a newe
my lower offer on the Leica Trinovid 7x42 ba's on ebay was accepted so I'm all set. thank you to everyone who weighed in!

I am glad you desided to buy the Leica Trinovid 7X42, they have incredible glass, they are very easy to use and the depth of field is incredible, they are also very steady, and I you need to get them serviced you can send them to Leica. I bet you will enjoy them for a long time.

Jorge Rademann

it would be useful if you could outline what you intend to use your binoculars for - "general observing", as many in this subforum do, may not have the same requirements for magnification, ruggedness, ability to be used with glasses/spectacles etc as birding or other activities. There is a huge choice available, knowing what they will be used for will help narrow things down.

I just happened upon this thread and it looks like you deserve a commission for helping sell that 7x42 BA there!
I would welcome the commision Jajajaj. I have a Swarovski 7X30 B SLC Neu refurbished, A Maven 6X30 B3 for my car and a Leica Ultravid 7X42 HD that I really love using. I have read very good reviews about the Leica Trinovid 7X42 BA and they say that there are very similar to the Ultravids 7x42 and the Safari green looks amazing, if you give them a good cleaning they might look brand new. Please let us know WBUSBY1 how do you like your new binoculars.

I have read very good reviews about the Leica Trinovid 7X42 BA and they say that they are very similar to the Ultravids 7x42…
I’ve got a couple of Ultravids and one 8x32 BN which gives up little in comparison, with some people preferring the older binocular. The Ultravid has better saturation and contrast and weighs a little less, but for the price comparison the BA/BN models are still great binoculars.

Unfortunately the OP was a one-day-only member and probably won’t be back to let us know how he likes them, or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back