• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lothian Birding (9 Viewers)

Destroyed as in actively by a human, or because of this god awful weather? Terrible news either way, but at least the latter would be understandable

Spoke to a friend who was monitoring the birds regularly. The birds were on nest and when he went back after a few days of good weather no sign of them again. He suspects foul play/interference

Saw the Icterine warbler at Cockmuir today-what a find at this time of year and what a songster!

Icterine Warbler still singing exhuberantly at Cockmuir this afternoon. Views were fleeting, largely due to the activity of one selfish individual who thrashed around down by the forest edge, disturbing the bird every time it took up a new singing position. The gallery watching from the road 70m further back were not amused at this behaviour but apparently his filming/recording needs took precedence over the enjoyment of others! Poor show.

Icterine Warbler still singing exhuberantly at Cockmuir this afternoon. Views were fleeting, largely due to the activity of one selfish individual who thrashed around down by the forest edge, disturbing the bird every time it took up a new singing position. The gallery watching from the road 70m further back were not amused at this behaviour but apparently his filming/recording needs took precedence over the enjoyment of others! Poor show.

am in full agreement with the behaviour of this so-called 'photographer'.....it really was very selfish behaviour as we all could have had good views from the roadside.
I heard the bird singing but could not get a glimpse of it. My daughter managed fleeting views of it though. enjoyed seeing the Long-eared owl, Snipe, Whinchat and especially meeting the other birders there.

The down side of putting out news nowadays is the danger of attracting such individuals. Name and shame I say.

I haven't been to see it and nor will I as I am afraid I don't want to associate with such fuds!!

GREAT find by MT by the way.:t:

The down side of putting out news nowadays is the danger of attracting such individuals. Name and shame I say.

I haven't been to see it and nor will I as I am afraid I don't want to associate with such fuds!!

GREAT find by MT by the way.:t:

well said that man :t:

I have a hunch as to who it is, he's the the only person I know off that has been up and down that tree line trying to photograph and sound record the bird. The same person that blurts out information on rare breeding birds on local news groups :-C

I hope nobody minds me asking, but I remember a few years ago there was talk of a small breeding colony of Rosy-Faced Lovebirds somewhere in the Lothian area. Does anyone know if they are still around or what happened to them?

Thanks for any information!

Does anyone know if they are still around or what happened to them?

Correct, Dunbar, in a quick check I find records from Jan 2002 to July 2006, peak 15 in August 2003. Not aware of any more recent records and a local (Des) thought they had expired by 2010. But we are generally bad at keeping tabs on exotics, cf. lots of discussion about RN Parakeet but very little hard evidence for the rumoured resident population even when they were probably resident...

Thanks for that. Probably for the best that the exotics die out, but I wouldn't have minded seeing a 'wild' lovebird if they were still around.

A good morning out today. Down to JMCP at 7-climbed up the mound just beside the former toilet block and was just as surprised to see 3 little egrets on the saltmarsh 20 metres away as they were to see me and off they flew down to Belhaven. A little stint was amongst the dunlins at the north end of the saltmarsh. 5 whimbrels flew over and 5 greenshanks were in the bay. Down at Belhaven a ruff was feeding and there was an adult roseate tern
Back home by 10 and there was news of the possible alpine swift out by the zoo. after 20 minutes of fruitless scanning the bird came into view and the small group of us were able to watch it for about 15 minutes-Lothian's first record since 1995

Blimey-quite a day at Tyninghame today

Second semi-palmated sandpiper of the year, pectoral sandpiper, 2 buff breasted sandpipers, curlew sandpiper, ruff and black tailed godwit

Some of ours are missing - did anyone check the pockets of the plover twitching crew when they came back to Lothian??

cheers, Andrew

Brought a boot load back Andrew, although keeping some for Barra next week weekend.
I take it you still have the same mobile number as previous so that you can receive the news first?
If not send me a PM before the weekend.:t:

A lovely bright morning at John Muir Country Park today-the 2 buff breasted sandpipers were present at the edge of the dunes

Attachments

• BBS2.JPG
    BBS2.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 80
Thorntonloch/Torness

Hi,
Had a quick trip to Thorntonloch/Torness today. Best birds I found were these snow buntings on the 'concrete walkway' between the power station and the sea.

Thorntonloch/Torness

Eventually got pix attached....hopefully!

Attachments

• _BR_4572b.jpg
    _BR_4572b.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 117
  • _BR_4601b.jpg
    _BR_4601b.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 107
  • _BR_4562b.jpg
    _BR_4562b.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 128
Popped up mid Sat stopped at Torness. 20 or so wonderful Barr Tailed Godwits. Some Ringed Plovers scurrying around in the froth of a high tide. Loads of guls that I didn't have time to look through. The eiders were looking splendid busily eating mussels. A few Gannets flying past far out. Lots of wee birds in the scrub but the 7 kids made a lot of noise!!
Swans in the feilds east of the rd just north of Whitekirk - think they were whooper but was driving so might well be wrong.
The exhibition at the SOC was brilliant Lisa Hooper's prints are great!! Aberlady Bay was quiet, the Geese were not too numerous :-(
On Sun on the way back from Edin a slow drive along the bay saw loads of Shellduck + Wigeon. Not too mush but what was there was wonderful.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back