• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lothian Birding (1 Viewer)

Ooops, my misreading. But in fact a 'tweet' was put on about 5 mins ago saying it is still there today.

Cheers

That tweet was as a result of your post on here! Given none of the folk involved in posting on here or Twitter are actually there, and therefore have no first hand knowledge, I suppose we can't be sure it's not still present. But equally, and more likely, it's not

Hi all can anyone tell me a good spot for Dippers on the waters of leith, I'm only here for the weekend and would appreciate any info

Thanks

An immature male Golden Oriole was seen and heard at Musselburgh lagoons this morning. I saw it at 12:50 when it took off from the line of tree on the south side of the first lagoon, circled around us and flew into the plantations on the old second lagoon.

David

I wondered if others have a similar impression that Whitethroat numbers are booming this year but Wheatears seem to be much thinner on the ground (not just in Lothian).

I wondered if others have a similar impression that Whitethroat numbers are booming this year but Wheatears seem to be much thinner on the ground (not just in Lothian).
Been surveying up in Wester Ross and there were remarkably low Wheatear numbers in May, few moer around this month.

This weekend.

2 Little Gull Musselburgh Saturday
10 Mediterranean Gull Seton Sands Saturday
6 Little Egret Aberlady Saturday
Bee-eater Musselburgh Sunday
2 Little Ringed Plover Musselburgh Sunday

As reported on @birdinglothian Twitter feed, the Med Gulls are a local record count.

David

Spotted Sandpiper still at Fluke Dub today, an Osprey flew over there while I was there and there was at least 1 Yellow Wagtail in the area. At Musselburgh there were 5 Curlew Sandpipers, 20 Ruff and 16 Black-tailed Godwits.

David

Drake Surf Scoter off Esk Mouth early morning with Velvet Scoters, also RT Diver flew past and a Slav Grebe. Off Longniddry - another RT Diver and a Red-necked Grebe. Thousands of Pinkfeet flying inland from Aberlady in the morning sun....... Impressive sight and sound.......

Drake Surf Scoter off Esk Mouth early morning with Velvet Scoters, also RT Diver flew past and a Slav Grebe. Off Longniddry - another RT Diver and a Red-necked Grebe. Thousands of Pinkfeet flying inland from Aberlady in the morning sun....... Impressive sight and sound.......

Surfie still there this afternoon, Curlew Sandpiper, Greenshank and Black-tailed Godwit on the scrapes. 34 Yellow-browed Warblers on the East Lothian North Sea Coast today.

David

Surf Scoter again at Mussselburgh this afternoon, also a Kingfisher on the river and, on the scrapes Shoveler, Pintail and Curlew Sandpiper. The first Goldeneye of the "winter" on the boating pond.

David

In part reviving this thread, but in part wondering if there is much in the way of West Lothian birders? All the main discussions seems about East Lothian (understandable, given how often we find ourselves through there!), but it seems West Lothian has a bit of a dearth of birdwatching? I wondered if any local groups in the West Lothian area?

Hi folks,

Thought I might give this thread a bump!

Managed a Musselburgh tick today (I think), even found it myself, which is a rarity for me at Musselburgh ! (there was another birder next to me so it was really a shared find.) It was Long-tailed Skua, an adult. There seemed to be a few Skuas lingering out, mostly well out, off the seawall today, Bonxies and Arctics and while we were watching 3 dark Arctics we noticed an obviously smaller, paler Skua also going west behind them.
Though fairly distant it stood out and seemed to be migrating, flying direct and rather high. Then it suddenly decided to drop and rest on the water, where we lost it.
Five years since I last saw a Long-tail and the first I've seen at Musselburgh.
A few other things on the sea, couple of Slavonian Grebes, 4 Great crested, 3 Red necked, both Scoters and the first Pinkfeet of the winter that I've noticed.

Gordon

Hi David,

Yeah, didn't do the scrapes today, well watched, recorded and reported locally as you know.

Think I might only post my own obs. and views on here.

Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back