• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lots of awful pics to ID! (1 Viewer)

harry eales said:
There was a chap (I think it was Derwick) on the south coast of England who built the ultimate trap. It was more like a flat roofed shed with the light and entry cone on the roof.
When operating it, he used to sit inside the trap examining the moths as they entered it. He caught many thousands of moths that way. I'm not suggesting you go that far as yet.

Harry
Was this an old pillbox (gunpost), think I remember reading something about that.

Angus T said:
Was this an old pillbox (gunpost), think I remember reading something about that.

Hello Angus,
I can't remember offhand which book of mine it's in. There is a picture of the trap. If I can find it, assuming I'm not infringing copywrite I'll try scanning it and posting it in here.

Harry.

harry eales said:
Hello Angus,
I can't remember offhand which book of mine it's in. There is a picture of the trap. If I can find it, assuming I'm not infringing copywrite I'll try scanning it and posting it in here.

Harry.

Hello Angus,

I have found the photograph of A.J. Derwicks moth trap, it's in A Guide to the Butterflies and Larger Moths of Essex. Essex Naturalists' Trust. 1975.

I cannot scan it, as the book is still 'tight' and it would crack the spine if I tried to flatten it open.

However, it does appear that the collecting chamber is a WW2 concrete 'pill box'. The internal dimensions are given as 11' x 11' x 6' high. The photograph shows A.J.Derwick and J.Firmin standing up inside the collecting chamber, which is lit inside, examining moths which have been attracted by the MV bulb on the roof of the 'pill box' (I wouldn't like to have been the one to chisel a large hole through the 12" reinforced concrete roof). Hundreds of moths can be seen resting on the walls, roof and the lower end of cone leading into the trap base.

A very impressive trap indeed, but hardly portable. lol. I wonder how long it took to empty it in the morning? One thing is fairly certain, it has to be the largest permanently sited moth trap in the country.

Harry

Harri, is there an english or other nordic version of the 'story' or not? Jeg kan dansk, og forsta nok at lese svensk, men ikke nogle finsk!!

Ciao

Jim

Wandered Scot said:
Harri, is there an english or other nordic version of the 'story' or not? Jeg kan dansk, og forsta nok at lese svensk, men ikke nogle finsk!!

Ciao

Jim

Jag förstår, men.....it has been written only in Finnish. I'll see if someone has translated the article or will translate it.

Harri

Last edited:
harry eales said:
Hello Angus,

I have found the photograph of A.J. Derwicks moth trap, it's in A Guide to the Butterflies and Larger Moths of Essex. Essex Naturalists' Trust. 1975.

I cannot scan it, as the book is still 'tight' and it would crack the spine if I tried to flatten it open.

However, it does appear that the collecting chamber is a WW2 concrete 'pill box'. The internal dimensions are given as 11' x 11' x 6' high. The photograph shows A.J.Derwick and J.Firmin standing up inside the collecting chamber, which is lit inside, examining moths which have been attracted by the MV bulb on the roof of the 'pill box' (I wouldn't like to have been the one to chisel a large hole through the 12" reinforced concrete roof). Hundreds of moths can be seen resting on the walls, roof and the lower end of cone leading into the trap base.

A very impressive trap indeed, but hardly portable. lol. I wonder how long it took to empty it in the morning? One thing is fairly certain, it has to be the largest permanently sited moth trap in the country.

Harry

Minor point, but it was Mr Dewick, as in .....'s Plusia, not Derwick.

I seem to recall the pill box was also fitted with a suction fan to pull more moths in too...

Mike

MikeWall said:
Minor point, but it was Mr Dewick, as in .....'s Plusia, not Derwick.

I seem to recall the pill box was also fitted with a suction fan to pull more moths in too...

Mike

Hello Mike your correct it is Dewick as in the plusia. I'm reading letters that aren't there, I must be getting my eyes tested soon.

There's no sign of a fan or at least one visible, but the entry tube below the entry cone is about 12" in dia. so there is room for one.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back