• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lowepro Whistler Backpack 350 AW II (2 Viewers)

JTweedie

Has anyone tried this bag? Designed for photographers, but it looks like it would be good for out in the field with a tripod since it has lots of straps on the outside for attaching tripods and it has a lot of internal space. I've seen it going for much cheaper that it's showing on this site though.

No but I own Flipside Trek in both 350 and 450 so perhaps I can speak to Lowe in general. So far they have been excellent all-around. The back panel opening works great as I don't have to set the back on dirt to get big lens/camera out. I note that the Whistler zipper is outside the waistbelt - I suppose that makes the opening larger? It may also be a larger overall bag since the back compartment zips all the way down - mine is just a partial clamshell.

One thing I learned quickly is that it's good to order somewhere you can return/exchange, and test pack it with your gear to make sure it all works.

Also learned that once I take camera out, my main compartment is at least 50% empty and unbalanced with tripod, unless I pack accordingly. If main compartment is empty or only has a jacket etc once I've removed the camera, I feel the weight of the tripod on one shoulder and unbalanced. I seldom use tripod for camera - just for little Kowa 553 which lives centered in back compartment - so it's something I have to make adjustments for.

Thanks for the reply. I had a look at some videos online and it seems to be quite flexible in that you can move the interior dividers around to accommodate your equipment. Photos of the bag also showed the tripod strapped to either one of the sides or on the front, so it looks like that would address the balance issues. The bag would primarily be used for a scope and binoculars, and on occasion a camera. And with multiple pockets it looks like there's plenty of storage.

I have a current everyday rucksack from Lowe Alpine and had an older camera bag from Lowepro but that had been with me for years so I know their bags are generally quite good quality. I like that they're using more recycled materials in their bags too which is great from a sustainability point of view.

Thanks for the reply. I had a look at some videos online and it seems to be quite flexible in that you can move the interior dividers around to accommodate your equipment. Photos of the bag also showed the tripod strapped to either one of the sides or on the front, so it looks like that would address the balance issues. The bag would primarily be used for a scope and binoculars, and on occasion a camera. And with multiple pockets it looks like there's plenty of storage.

I have a current everyday rucksack from Lowe Alpine and had an older camera bag from Lowepro but that had been with me for years so I know their bags are generally quite good quality. I like that they're using more recycled materials in their bags too which is great from a sustainability point of view.
Hi John,

Sorry to bring up your old thread but I am currently looking for a bag to carry my scope, binoculars, tripod and other stuff and this is one of the ones I am considering. Just wondered if you bought one and if so how do you find it?.

Cheers,

Stephen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back