• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

All-knowing Idiot
Opus Editor
Poland

I was browsing Macaulay Library in preparation for posting another thread on the forum, when I noticed this bird. It has a brown iris, so it's not a pure Eurasian Jackdaw--it's either a Eurasian Jackdaw x Daurian Jackdaw hybrid or a pure first winter Daurian Jackdaw. I believe the latter would be a first for India (no records until 2016, from what I've found on the internet, and no records on eBird). Here's an interesting discussion in Russian (still not fully parsed by me) regarding the identification challenge posed by such birds: Daurian Jackdaw (Corvus daurica). Birds of Siberia..

Apart from that, I've also found and reported adult Eurasian Jackdaw x Daurian Jackdaw hybrids (compare: Daurian Jackdaw (Corvus daurica). Birds of Siberia.) among eBird's Indian 'Eurasian Jackdaws':
However, I thought that, in this case, it would be interesting to post a thread here before flagging the record to eBird.

It has a brown iris
It has a pale brown iris. And this is just a single photo - so it might look quite different in other photos, were there any. Otherwise, surely some age-related difference or simple aberration of regular/Eurasian jackdaw are both more likely than either of the explanations you're mooting.

Thanks for the answer.

I've found another photo taken two days later by the same person but in another location (although it looks like it's really the same shot).

On the other hand, there are also actually three different photos by the same person in the same location and on the day before showing two Eurasian Jackdaws with very pale underparts (a matter of exposure?) and a hint of an indistinct black bib, both of which would be slightly better for Daurian Jackdaw, but with pale bluish eye of Eurasian Jackdaw.

* * *​

While Eurasian Jackdaws across their entire range show considerable variation, those in northwestern India: Eurasian Jackdaw - Corvus monedula - Media Search - Macaulay Library and eBird, look particularly different to typical C. m. soemmerringii (which helped me pick out this bird in the first place).

These differences can be observed both with regard to the original type description and attached plate: Coloeus monedula soemmerringii (Eurasian Jackdaw (soemmerringii)) - Avibase (in French; an English machine translation of a part of the text is quoted below for the record, but I don't think it's worth reading that much), and visual comparison with, say, birds of Ukraine: Eurasian Jackdaw - Corvus monedula - Media Search - Macaulay Library and eBird (in the western part of the subspecies range). Apparently, only a few individuals look like proper C. m. soemmerringii: ML348232631 Eurasian Jackdaw Macaulay Library.

I've had a cursory look at Eurasian Jackdaw (Corvus monedula). Photo Gallery.Birds of Siberia., and there seems to be at least some gradation between the appearance of Eurasian Jackdaws in western and central Siberia, which--I believe--may coincide with the location of the hybrid zone between Eurasian and Daurian Jackdaws around Altai Mountains.

Therefore, I tentatively posit that far northwestern India (at the eastern tip of the species wintering range: Eurasian Jackdaw (Corvus monedula) - BirdLife species factsheet) may indeed be the wintering location of the easternmost population of Eurasian Jackdaws--the hybrid swarm breeding in the Altai Mountains (in the contact zone between the two jackdaw species). This should make the occurence of hybrids or lone (phenotipically) pure Daurian Jackdaws more likely. Phew.

* * *​

Notice on Russia's Choucas, -Par G. Fischer.

Plate IM.

X armi the corneilles that flutter in quantity on Moscow during the winter, there is above all a species which attracted my attention ', it is a corneille with scapular or collar, or with lateral ribbon, but which is distinguished from Those that other naturalists have observed. Levaillant (V. Birds of Africa, Torn. II. Pag. I4. Pi- 53) described and represented a corneille which is very opposed to the Cap de Bonne-Espérance; It is found in Senegal according to the assertion of Buffon which calls it Corneille du Senegal. Cape Town calls him Bonte-Kraai, a speckled crow, because its plumage is regularly marked with black and white. In this species, white forms a necklace which in front extends to the bottom of the sternum and kisses only the neck from behind, the tail is rounded, the eyes are brown-black; The beak, feet and nails are black. Russia's collar corneille, which we will call the sômmerring corneille, in honor of the great anatomist and physiologist of this name, is smaller than choucas, with which he undoubtedly keeps the greatest analogy by his form and by his kind of life. Its length from the tip of the beak to that of the tail has not entirely twelve inches, and to that of the eleven-inch three-line nails. His beak is strong and pointed and has, at the forefront, a slight incision which makes it serrated. He has fourteen long lines from his end to the corners of the mouth, and two inches five lines the head included. Its tail has four inches two lines; his foot four inches five lines; The leg two inches five lines, tarsus a thumb five lines; The middle finger an inch two lines; The laterals are a short one, and the posterior has a thumb in length, but the nail longer and stronger than the others. He has a seven -fed foot. The top of the head is black from Velour changing to purple. The occiput and the upper part of the neck is ash gray as in ordinary choucas, but the sides of the neck are surrounded by a large white ribbon which is lost from behind in a grayish cap. The back, the croupion, the covers above the wings and the tail are a shiny black pulling very little on purple. The neck it belly are of a grayish or even black black out of gray. The large feathers of the wing, the feathers of the tail are lighter down, pulling on green. The third penne of the wing is the longest; Those of the tail, twelve, are rounded and of an almost equal length. The two intermediaries are however longer. The iris is whitish sometimes passing through furniture. Bee, feet and nails are black. They stay in winter and summer in these regions, but they enter the city in greater quantity during the winter. They nest like ordinary choucas in the highest towers, even sometimes in the low houses of the peasants. They lay four eggs. Although the choucas of Russia that I have just described, has a lot of relation to the choucas proper, it is however constantly decorated with this white spot, or of this white ribbon on both sides, which sometimes forms a whole necklace as in the Choucas living in Switzerland. He is constantly smaller. This constant decoration, and its greatness make me persist in my opinion to consider the choucas of Russia as a different species of common choucas, Connis Monedula F L., and to which the collar species of Switzerland appears. It can be recognized by the following sentence:
Corvus soemmerringii, Niger, Rostro Apice Dentato, Incano f collo fascia laterali alba.
As synonyms of variety belong to him:
Monedula Torquata. Charlet. Exercise. p. 75. Ne. 7. Onomasticon. p. 68. N °. 7.
Monedula Altéra. AIDROVANDI AVES. Tom. I. p. 775.
Alud Monedula? Genus. Jonston, Aves p. 26 T. XVI.
Helvetian Daw of English.
Collar choucas. Brisson, Ornithol Tom, Il p. 27.

* * *​

Also, the iris of first winter Daurian Jackdaws (where they don't overlap with Eurasian Jackdaws) may or may not appear lighter than the adults iris (I'm trying to avoid catchlights)? (Although I'm hard-pressed to find evidence for any age-related differences, and Eurasian Jackdaws don't show much of a difference in iris colour between ages if at all.) Still, as you can see below, it's not entirely dark, though I haven't found such a rich brownish hue yet either.

I also can't see silver streaking on the nape and sides of its head (Daurian Jackdaw Identification - Shanghai Birding 上海观鸟), which--apart from the unusual iris colouration--would favour a hybrid over a pure Daurian Jackdaw?

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
I'll now try to set the record straight about the appearance of the subspecies of Eurasian Jackdaw. I haven't found a nice visual comparison on the internet (no access to BotW may be a factor), so here's my best attempt at it:
If you're interested in Jackdaws, there are four recognised subspecies, and they should roughly look like this (photos chosen from eBird based on the description from en.wiki and my somewhat limited experience with the local ssp.; unfortunately, individual variation is huge):
C. m. cirtensis,
C. m. spermologus,
C. m. monedula,
C. m. soemmerringii.
(with the caveat that nominate C. m. monedula more often than not show a thin (not thick as in C. m. soemmerringii) whitish collar of variable length (from but a speck at the front to a pretty longish line) rather than the greyish collar pictured above--which is, apparently, also possible, though)

A picture showing what I believe to be a C. m. soemmerringii, which is accompanied by a C. m. monedula visible in the foreground (the regular subspecies in this region of Eastern Poland).

* * *​

Why I think the bird in question is not a pure Eurasian Jackdaw?

1) It has a brownish, not pale bluish iris (which is an important feature seperating Eurasian and Daurian Jackdaws).

2) It has a light back and belly, which appear to be (almost?) always darker than the colour of the cheeks. In other words--I have yet to knowingly see a decided Eurasian Jackdaw with such a pale back, breast and belly.

3) Even otherwise perfectly normal-looking Eurasian Jackdaws in India (with a pale blue iris and more standard plumage) look very different than C. m. soemmerringii they're supposed to represent.

* * *​

Side note: Adult Daurian Jackdaws apparently have an even darker back than Eurasian Jackdaws, so the pale back is strange.

So, is Collared Crow - BirdForum Opus in the mix? I don't think so (on bill shape and bill size).

However:
Вот я бы поспорил, первогодки очень вариабельны в ювенильном наряде, в субадультном оперении полностью черные и лишь на второй год приобретают взрослый наряд.​
I would argue that first-years are very variable in juvenile plumage, completely black in subadult plumage, and only in the second year acquire adult plumage.​
(emended machine translation from Daurian Jackdaw (Corvus daurica). Birds of Siberia.)

Does this mean that a pale back in this bird may be within variation for Daurian Jackdaw? I don't know.

* * *​

Описан ли у молодых чистых даурок воротник, подобный воротнику обыкновенной? Как на фото. Такие воротниковые птицы, с просветлениями на груди, у Нечаева описаны как взрослые гибриды: "У всех гибридных особей отмечались светлые участки по бокам шеи - признак характерный для обыкновенной галки".
Is the collar similar to that of the Common Jackdaw described in young pure daurian? As in the photo. Such collared birds, with highlights on the chest, are described by Nechaev as adult hybrids: "All hybrid individuals had light areas on the sides of the neck -- a sign characteristic of the common jackdaw."
(from the same source)

An interesting passage that sounds a bit authoritative, all the same. The bird in question does not have discernible neck patches.

In another paper I read:
According to Panov (1989) however, the species hybridize in the Altai mountain range, South Siberia and Mongolia with about 9% of the sampled individuals being hybrids. Nechaev (1975) gives a detailed description of hybrids from those regions. To assess further the degree of gene flow investigation of more individuals from regions in South Siberia, where hybridization could occur, is necessary.

Does anyone have access to
Nechaev, V.A., 1975. The Daurian Jackdaw—Coloeus dauuricus Pall. In: Nechaev, V.A. (Ed.), Ornithological studies in the Soviet Far East. Proceedings of the Institute of Biology and Pedology, vol. 29. Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Vladivostok, pp. 14–160 (in Russian with English summary).
(will perhaps post the question in Information Wanted after a few days if no one does)

EDIT: Apparently unavailable in Poland--BTW, no matter what topic you pick, there are no books in this country (it's either buy it yourself or take a weekend trip to Germany).

Last edited:
I feel it needs repeating... This is a single photo (the second photo from a 'different' time and place is indeed the same photo), and assessing it involves all the vagaries, unknowns and unpredictabilities of IDing from a single photo that are shown so often in these pages. Lighting and exposure are particular such problems, and this photo is ⅔-1 stop underexposed.
Iris colour is commonly difficult to assess, commonly varies between different photos of a single bird, and in this photo the iris is actually bluish-grey in the upper right quadrant; maybe in different light or from a different angle the whole iris would look bluish-grey?
Your own point about the anomalous back colour fits fine with it being an overexposed regular jackdaw and runs counter to any hybrid etc option.

Yes, maybe you're right. I'll try to report it now and update this thread if I get any additional information. Perhaps eBird reviewers can extract more photos from the OP?

Food for thought:

The comparison photo mentioned above may or may not actually contain two Eastern Jackdaws (ssp. soemmerringii), except only one is marked much more strongly, (hopefully) enabling identification; compare:
(throat in shadow)

The series of four photos including the one used for comparison also shows a much drabber bird with a mix of features.
Due to the fact that its chin seems to be in shadow rather than dark as well, I wouldn't commit to identifying this one either.

It is, then, possible that Eastern Jackdaws (ssp. soemmerringii) can be encountered slightly out of range in whole groups, not necessarily singly.

Other Eurasian Jackdaw x Daurian Jackdaw hybrid candidates:

1) a bird with a brown iris that is visible in three different photos, with a ghosting of a black hood (though could it be a recently fledged Eurasian Jackdaw since those have dark irides--if so, what about the head pattern?):

2) ghosting of black hood and broad uniform white collar reaching breast but blue eye:

3) also marked this one, but now it looks moderately normal (if still a bit off); I must be tired by now:

Attachments

• 15600_Coloeus_monedula_E.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • V96_N10_P520_523_A003.pdf
    483.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I used DeepL Translate: to look at the Sibird.ru thread. A good translation, btw, The Altai birds discussion needs to be broken down into sections to translate. I don't fully understand the colloquiallisms the people use, but still clearly understandable. I sent you a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back