• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Macro with binocular and close-up lens (1 Viewer)

Ted Y.

Forum member
Canada
A.
I used a Fujinon 8x42 Hyper Clarity with Hoya Macro Close-up II (Each close-up lens has a light transmission of 97%).
The binocular was focused at minimum distance, only the right telescope was used.
Macro lenses are Aluminum alloy, therefore must not be tighten, only snug.
I used two subjects: a flower and a barcode.

Case 1
Using: Binocular (one telescope) with the lens +2.
I determined that the total magnification is x4, the DOF is ~2 cm, and that the image is focused for a distance of ~35cm from close up leans to the subject.
The lens did not modify the visual quality as no drop or distortion were noticed.

Case 2
Using: Binocular (one telscope) with the lens +4.
I determined that the total magnification is x8, the DOF is ~0.5 cm, and that the image is in focus when the distance from the subject is ~25cm.
I noticed an acceptable acutance and when examining barcodes, a small pincushion distortion appears far from the center of the image.

Case 3
Using: Binocular (one telscope) with 3 lenses together, +1, +2, +4, total +7.
I determined that:
-the DOF is very small, the image does not have the same clarity as a single lens;
-the image is in focus when the distance from the subject is ~10cm.
I noticed a reduced light transmission and a focus very sensitive to motion.

B.
I used Leica Monovid 8x20 monocular and its Leica macro lens.
I used two subjects: a flower and a barcode.
I determined that:
-the image is in focus when the distance from the subject is ~25cm;
-the magnification is x8, the DOF is ~0.5 cm.
I noticed that the light transmission is higher than that of the binocular Fujinon (used in A above) and that the assembly has an excellent contrast and edge clarity; also, no distortions can be observed.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back