• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Madagascar sparrowhawk (1 Viewer)

Attaching two shots I took at Berenty in November 2012- one is a I believe a female or maybe imm. Frances's Sparrowhawk, but the other is more puzzling, it might be a juv Frances's perhaps but it was greyish above, had no pale marks on the head and looked to be adult basically. No mesial stripe, the throat looked pale. It had quite thick broad dark tail bars on the upper surface- no sure if this has any specific i. d. value though. It basically reminded me of a small version of Henst's Goshawk. I'd value opinions on its identity as there is so much confusion between these two. This was my third trip and this was the first time I had encountered even a possible Madagascar Sparrowhawk, so as Pete Morris says it's clearly rare and often misidentified.
Thanks

And we in Europe still worry over Goshawk vs female Sparrowhawk! Nice photos, Phil, whatever they are!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back