• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maldives- Meemu Atoll X2 Bird ID help please- Heron and other. :) (1 Viewer)

Josh1234

United Kingdom
Hello all-

I've only been birding for a year so I'm still getting to grips with UK birds and am struggling to find much literature on Maldivian birds.
Any help greatly appreciated :) ...

First bird- I think is a Striated Heron. Clear pictures attached so hopefully easy to confirm ID. Smaller than a little egret and showed a white, fan shaped tail in flight.

Second bird- I have no idea. Two were flying one in front of the other fairly low to the sea. Seemed all black and a bit larger than a crow. We were watching sharks in the water at the time so I didn't see for long and only got this poor record shot (just before sunset).

Again thanks for any help :D

Attachments

• IMG_9807.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Welcome to BF.
The Grimmett et al. Indian field guide covers the Maldives.
1. Odd thing. Presumably an aberrant striated heron. Pass . Do upload your other photo(s) if you can.
2. The bill looks somewhat wrong but otherwise plausibly another short-legged heron - which would make it striated heron again, presumably looking black because of the light. Dunno.

Suspect the second is unidentifiable. It doesn't feel like a heron to me but perhaps it is...

...Superficially it looks a bit like a Shearwater, but close inspection shows it can't be. I wondered about a skua; careful comparison of wing shape might help here

Broad wings, straight long bill, overall shape... and very, very few possibilities on the Maldives.
Thanks. Wing shape is unequivocal, bill shape more so, at least for me on this phone.

Avibase list for Maldives has everything I would expect: +/- all the skuas, a bunch of shearwaters, various herons and egrets

Thank you for your help everyone. I really appreciate the responses...I might have a few more for you soon! ;)

I've done a bit more reading and you may all correct me but there seems to be such a thing as a Maldivian Little Heron which by all accounts is a sub species of the Striated Heron which would account for the aberrant look I suppose.

Regarding the second bird, this was one of two flying in series and I didn't get the impression they were herons but hey ho.
I'm gonna see if I can get a copy of that field guide on ebay. Thanks for the heads up on that also, :)

Since I can only seem to upload one picture at a time, here's another of the striated heron. :)

Last edited:
It seems that some/many striated herons on the Maldives (presumably the local resident race albolimbatus) do look pretty weird - and like yours.
Who knew. So yours isn't aberrant.

Watched a pair of herons today and thankfully they interacted allowing some interesting comparisons. Thought those interested in this thread may enjoy seeing.

This is, I'm assuming a 'regular' striated heron and it's Maldivian counterpart. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0168.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0169.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 17
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back