• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Male blackbird eating puppy food! (4 Viewers)

Jakaree

New Zealand
Hi, so I have a male blackbird that comes into my house to eat my puppies biscuits. He’s comes in eats one and takes 2 with him, he does this countless times a day probably eating more or just as much as my puppy each day! (1/2 cup per day) Shorly he can’t be eating that much each day but what could he be doing with them? I would have thought they would be to hard for their fledgling‘s to eat?

Storing them somewhere? Can you try to track him?
That’s what I thought but I didn’t think birds would store food in there nest as it would attract pests. I’ve tried to watch him but he flys up into a really high tree and sits there until I walk away, so not sure how else I could track him. There’s no way he could see where the dog biscuits are from outside either, so I’m not sure how he knew they were there. He also dosnt care if anyone is sitting on the couch as he hops past (which is not even a meter in distance) to get to the biscuits.

He might be storing it somewhere else than in the nest? Jays do it. Maybe blackbirds too (or this blackbird, at least). Birds are smart.

Storing food for winter is not something I've heard of blackbirds (or any turdus thrush) doing... and it's mid-summer in New Zealand. It's very unlikely he's spending time hoarding food when he has chicks to feed.

Generally they feed whole insects to their chicks... if the dog treats are bigger than a typical caterpillar, it would be interesting to know if he breaks them and/or softens them somehow.

Storing food for winter is not something I've heard of blackbirds (or any turdus thrush) doing... and it's mid-summer in New Zealand. It's very unlikely he's spending time hoarding food when he has chicks to feed.

Generally they feed whole insects to their chicks... if the dog treats are bigger than a typical caterpillar, it would be interesting to know if he breaks them and/or softens them somehow.
Yeah it would be good to no but I’ve tried to follow him but with no luck unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back