• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mall Galleries Wildlife Exhibition 2010 (1 Viewer)

Does Barry Van Dusen enter Birds in Art? I like his work very much. Alan Hunt has work in the SWLA show and I imagine he's another BiA artist.

If I cover up the artist's name in each BIA catalog I get and flip through noting just what I like on first glance I can always count on a couple of people: Lars Jonsson, Barry Van Dusen and John Busby, with the caveat that I think last year was John's first year in the show. I always go through many times over and eventually get won over by other art but I like to always start off this way. This year John Busby's was the one that really struck me the most, just because is seemed so fresh.

That's a roundabout way of saying that Barry normally seems to enter and it's always a pleasure to see his stuff. But I didn't see it this year. He may not have entered or may just not have gotten in. It looks like a 100/500 ratio entries to rejects so I'm sure some people who have been in 90% of the shows occasionally don't get in one. I'll have to look up Alan Hunt. But I better go get supper started before my wife tosses me out on my ear when she gets home from work.;) I'll check on Alan later.

if you look at the list of masters, I think Barry is one of them, he introduced John last year...the stand out for me this year in the catalog was Lars...and tho the works were high quality, there was such a bias for the camera based perfect realism, I miss a little broader scope, always due to the jurors opinion.

A master who sends work automatically gets his or her work hung, so if I'm right Barry must not have sent work...

Well- the weather improved enough for me to nip round to SWLA, slight detour due to a White-winged Black Tern swoopin and skimmin over the Serpentine in Hyde Park. Surreal- maybe some pics to follow.

Amongst the new things a reminder of just how very very good some of the established names are- there's a fine bunch of David Daly's and a coupla Nik Pollard Nuthatches that really caught my eye. A strong emphasis on watercolour in the field- not too much oil painting to be seen, asides from the Matthew Hilliers.

A low tiger/owl/wolf count again, but of them a Mathew Hillier tiger that is truly awesome in execution and some other mammals that l was very taken by- a reddish Threlfall langur for example.

Most striking in terms of prominence though is the customary big Bruce Pearson antarcticscape, in pride of place midway on the south wall: but this year he is flanked on either side by a Derry, each hung over (if you will forgive the term) a Wootton on each side. What can such a Derry Wootton Pearson triptych mean? The first sign of a new world order maybe..

Most striking in terms of prominence though is the customary big Bruce Pearson antarcticscape, in pride of place midway on the south wall: but this year he is flanked on either side by a Derry, each hung over (if you will forgive the term) a Wootton on each side. What can such a Derry Wootton Pearson triptych mean? The first sign of a new world order maybe..

Sounds right to me, about the new world order. I think Tim or Nick is going to have to hop over and take a photo themselves so we can see what the exhibition looks like.

I went over again today too, one of these days we'll have to introduce ourselves Ed!

I nicked this pic from Frederico Gammas' blog. I know you can't really see the pics but you can, at least, see where they are.

I think it was a John Paige piece 'Migrating yellow wagtails' that really reminded me of your work Ed, great stuff and sold too so you'ld better be thinking of putting in for this ex next year!

Mike

Attachments

• swla 2010.jpg
    swla 2010.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 81
Hi everyone

OH and I are going this Saturday for the last day showing of the Artists Gallery

Anyone going to be at the Mall at all?

Regards
Kathy
x

Hi everyone

OH and I are going this Saturday for the last day showing of the Artists Gallery

Anyone going to be at the Mall at all?

Regards
Kathy
x

I think my parents are popping along that day, they'll be the ones moaning that the whole exhibition isn't mine (as parents so annoyingly do!)

Hi there everyone

OH, and I went to the Mall Gallaries today and really enjoyed ourselves. The rain had not stopped all week so this is the first day since Monday where it has not been raining at all - and still it did rain but later in the afternoon - but at least it did not hamper our moments

We saw all the work contributed by members of this Bird Forum (paintings of birds) I am on and I have to say I am proud of the people who have added their quota to the Art display - good for you!!!

Well done with some of the sales too. :-O

Picked a favourite in support of one of the artists here too ;)

If any people are on here - well done to you

We went to our favourite Italian Restaurant afterwards for a meal and it was just the best as always as a once a year thing we do.

Enjoyed today a whole lot.

Regards
Kathy
x

Glad you enjoyed the exhibition Kathy (and the food ;) ) - and thanks for starting this thread; it's been useful and informative.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back