• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mammals in N Africa - links, trip reports or siteguides? (1 Viewer)

lostinjapan

Hi folks

I'm planning a trip to Morocco/W Sahara for 2 weeks in Mid-March. Just wonder if anyone has attempted to locate any of the small or indeed larger mammals in the region with any success.

I'd be interested in any information on possible sites to look for the likes of Porcupine, Honey Badger, Saharan Striped Polecat, Fennec Fox, Rueppel's Fox, Striped Hyena, African Wildcat, Caracal and the two gazelle species. I'm also very interested in information on Barbary Striped Grass Mouse.

I realise most of the species mentioned are incredibly difficult to find and I've been unable to find very few references, trip reports or indeed guides for them, but just thought I'd ask and see if anyone could help.

We will be looking at night using headtorches, but wondered if anyone had any tips or hints on locating smaller mammals in desert areas.

Cheers

Sean

Hi Sean,

Seen a few of those but haven't been over to Morocco for some time now. One species not on your list but being recorded in the WS perhaps more frequently now is the rather stunning Sand Cat but you will want a spotlight with a filter rather than relying solely on a head torch.
Most of the current work is being done by the French, for example - http://www.geres-asso.org/Mammiferes_Maroc_liste.html

I'm pretty sure I've got more references I will try and dig out but it might be worth dropping Mohamed (Acrocephalus) a PM as he'll perhaps know some current fieldworkers and research.

A UV torch will assist in spotting the scorpions before you stand on them ;)

Last edited:
The only link I have is the one supplied by Mark above. A powerful spotlight from a vehicle would be my technique and I would probably ask the locals if they know of any dens sites for your target species.

I wish you luck and would certainly be interested to know if you see any of these elusive creatures.

Thanks Mark, a great link & some good ideas regarding spotlighting & contacting Acrocephalus.

Big thanks to you too Gareth as I hadn't read the Punkbirders trip report. Some great observations and gives me hope we might find something good.

I also have a usual reference from the Go South website with grid references for recent sightings of various species.

Here's hoping we can find a few goodies & any more information gratefully received.

Cheers

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back