• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Man V Squirrel, this time I'll win! (1 Viewer)

I have an update on my bird feeders and squirrel issues:

I have seen chickadees, house finches and the occassional nuthatch at the safflower seed feeder. It took a few weeks, but they are eating the seed. And, the squirrels completely ignore that feeder. They used to hang down and clean out the feeder in no time.

The squirrel-proof feeder is proving to be just that. I've seen a couple of squirrels climbing on it, but when they can't get any food from it, they give up. We have a rather large squirrel population in our neighborhood, too.

I throw peanuts in the shell out in the yard for the squirrels, but the scrub jays usually decend and make quick work of the peanuts. I like the squirrels, but I don't like it when they clean out my feeders. To keep the squirrels from the one feeder that they can access, (although with some difficulty), I smear cheap peanut butter on the trunks of several trees. They LOVE it! I've heard that some birds will eat that, too, but so far I haven't seen any.

Go Ducks! (For you people outside the US, that is the best college football team in the US. :t: )
CindyB

Last edited:
I feed the squirrels, they dont seem to bother the bird feeders anymore, here are two feeders I made, the table and chair model I have good luck selling them at flea markets.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 174
THose are great Nuthouse. Did you design them yourself? I'm not suprised you can sell them at flea markets , the feeding positions are great for photos. And they look as cute as heck.

Last edited:
Nut house those feeders look fantastic, if I had squirrels in my yard I'd buy one myself. BTW, be glad you guys have squirrels, believe it or not there are places where people do not even have so much as squirrels in their yards!

Thanks for the comments on my feeders, the one with the jar I had seen at a bird store but didnt care for it cause the jar was a lot smaller and it mounted on a tree and I have a bad raccoon problem in the summer and anything mounted to a tree in my yard the raccoons would have a feast, I live trapped 9 of them last summer, so I designed my jar feeder so the raccoons cant take there little paws and reach the peanuts, this last summer four baby raccoons were all inside the jar with mommy raccoon on the ground waiting for them to clean my jar of nuts, If it wasnt dark at the time I would have had a great picture cause they were jammed in there tight I take the jar off at night now in the summer as for the table and chair feeder I took the idea from my dads he built in 1977 and after my parents past away in 2001 I took the one he made in 1977 and put a fresh coat of paint on it and mounted on a tree in my back yard.

Last edited:
I have the same problem with raccoons in our yard. We have huge evergreen trees and a small pond in the backyard. Our dog goes out there and he would be NO match for a raccoon. It scares me to think of how bad one could hurt my dog!

I only have hummingbird feeders in the backyard because of the raccoons. All my other feeders for birds and squirrels are in the front yard.

Go Ducks,
CindyB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back