• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manitoba, Carman Dec 2010 - March 2011 (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Carman Dec 2010 - March 2011

Has been a very sparse winter for birds around our house. Virtually no birds Dec and Jan.
Mid February brought a few intermittent Blue Jays, two Downy Woodpeckers were regulars as well as two White Breasted Nuthatches. The odd Chickadee put in an appearance and a group of House Sparrows were regular visitors to our feeders.
Spring is coming very slowly this year. Haven’t seen any Pine Siskins since Oct or Nov.
Even the trail I frequent had very few birds this year.
Today I saw three Geese, most likely Canada Geese, flying S/W over town.
Found a rather unique site featuring live cams installed near Eagles nests around Vancouver B.C.. The cameras have infrared capability so at night you can watch the Eagles sleep. Best cam site I found was the one for Whiterock. Was watching it a while ago and saw the Eagle rise and adjust her two eggs before settling again and adjusting a few bits of her nest.
Link to cam site;
http://www.hancockwildlife.org/index.php?topic=cam-sites

Last edited:
Pileated Woodpecker

Imagine my surprise to see this land in our tree this morning. It stuck around long enough for me to snap a few pictures. These are the best of the lot, taken through a dirty triple pane window, hand held and a little excited.
This one was probably 16-18 inches.

Attachments

• IMG_2832 resize.jpg
    IMG_2832 resize.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2826 resize.jpg
    IMG_2826 resize.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 38
Saw the Pileated again the next day, but haven't seen it since. Some House Finches have shown up this week and have been coming by a few times a day. It was a pretty poor winter for birds in town but some people we know who live on the edge of town were still getting a variety of birds at their feeders.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back