• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manual, Objective cap for the ED78 Fieldscope (1 Viewer)

VonMaunder

United States
Does anyone know a source for a cap or at least the outer objective diameter for the ED78 Fieldscope? Picked up one with 38WF in excellent+++ condition for a fair price, IMO but it wants a cap. Hasn't arrived yet, hoping to have a cap waiting...
Could find no specs or a manual online, have looked through nearly all the page results from a search here and the web. I've plenty of old cameras and never had a problem sourcing a manual online. The ED78 needs more love!

Thank you All, that pinch fit may be springy enough to grab 78mm, or a hot melt extension may make up the difference, worth the pittance to try. Opticron does make a tethered cap that they say will fit 82-85mm that may do it a bit more securely. Opticron Part number 31078 for when the link dies in 10 years and some other errant is on a quest for a cap for their relic.

If any in the house have their ED78 and a rule handy, could you post the actual diameter? BF's Alexis Powell mentioned in a post from 2012 that Nikon has nixxed them but that they may be 85mm. Objective Cover for ED78?

This is the only review I've read that mentioned the ED78 has multi-coating whereas the ED60 does not. Does anyone know more specs on the 78? I'm not sure what, exactly is in the tube I've purchased, but after reading many reviews, it is reportedly good, especially with MC EPs https://www.cloudynights.com/BVD/A-New-Crop-of-Big-Scopes.php

Outer diameter of the ED78 is 89mm, the above listed Opticron cap probably won't stretch to that if it fits an 82mm also, but IDK. The quest continues, I'll try the 77mm pinch but don't know if I'll best the prohobo MacGyvered tobacco tin with 5/16" closed cell weather stripping stuck around its interior, kinda schnazzy really...
IMG_0960.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back