• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh bird help please, Baghdad July 18, 2021 (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, I have attached photos of two different birds that I would appreciate ID help on. Unfortunately they are not very good photos. They were taken overlooking a sandbar on the Tigris near the US embassy in Baghdad. Over the last two months quite a number of reeds have grown on the sandbar, turning it into a bit of a marsh.
The bird in the first three photos I am thinking is possibly a great bittern, based on thickness of neck and overall body colour. But perhaps it is a juvenile night heron? Or something else? The third photo has what I think is one of a small flock of feral geese, though it seems to have a longer neck than the others.
The last 3 photos include 2 different birds. One bird in the first photo and the same bird in the second two. I think they are Moorhens but again would appreciate confirmation or correction.
thank you in advance for your assistance
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1204.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1204.jpeg
    945.9 KB · Views: 52
  • fullsizeoutput_1205.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1205.jpeg
    949.7 KB · Views: 55
  • fullsizeoutput_1206.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1206.jpeg
    705.5 KB · Views: 55
  • fullsizeoutput_1203.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1203.jpeg
    659.3 KB · Views: 48
  • fullsizeoutput_1202.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1202.jpeg
    619.8 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN7876.JPG
    DSCN7876.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 48
Agree with Butty,
just want to add the Night Heron is a juvenile bird by real dark blackish-brown plumage and large white spots, as bhutjoe has said. It gives a slight strange feeling to me, too. But i think this is only due to picture quality and haze. It is no Bittern or Little Bittern.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back