• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven 7x28 review (2 Viewers)

I find I miss the 7x28 mavens too. I'd really prefer a truly pocketable bino than mere compact ones (as these are single hinge) but they did have a nice quality build to them and a strong view. I'm curious what OP ended up doing as well.
I'd like to give these another chance as most people seem to rate them and the format is really appealing, but the copy I had was very poor optically even though I specifically emailed Maven to make sure the demo sample they were sending me was a good one. (No complaints about Maven's customer service and communication by the way, they were great)

The distracting edge blurring of the already tiny FOV I might have been able to put up with had the centre sharpness been ok, but that was extremely poor too.

For context I was comparing them to a Hawke Marine 7x32 and an Opticron traveller BGA 8X32 at the time. The Hawke which I still own has absolutely incredible sharpness, I swear it's actually a freak sample. The Opticron is really nice too but was obviously less sharp than my Hawke. The Maven's view was just dreadful in comparison to both.

I'd like to give these another chance as most people seem to rate them and the format is really appealing, but the copy I had was very poor optically even though I specifically emailed Maven to make sure the demo sample they were sending me was a good one. (No complaints about Maven's customer service and communication by the way, they were great)

The distracting edge blurring of the already tiny FOV I might have been able to put up with had the centre sharpness been ok, but that was extremely poor too.

For context I was comparing them to a Hawke Marine 7x32 and an Opticron traveller BGA 8X32 at the time. The Hawke which I still own has absolutely incredible sharpness, I swear it's actually a freak sample. The Opticron is really nice too but was obviously less sharp than my Hawke. The Maven's view was just dreadful in comparison to both.
The phrase and the idea of a “…freak sample” in a positive sense literally made me laugh. You received the opposite of a defective item. What word would describe that? It was hyper-effective, maybe? 🙂

Serious question: If you have super awesome 7x32s, what motivates you to continue jonesing for more similarly configured binoculars?

Also, when you returned the Mavens, did they confirm you had a defective pair?

People here often talk about how there are notable quality differences between individual pairs of new binoculars within a single model/brand (with less variation in higher end models, of course).

I have not bought many new binoculars, so I have not experienced this. If I bought a new pair of binoculars and they were dreadful, I’d be all like “Pfft, never gettin these again.” Unless they arrived broken in two or something.

People here often talk about how there are notable quality differences between individual pairs of new binoculars within a single model/brand (with less variation in higher end models, of course).

I have not bought many new binoculars, so I have not experienced this. If I bought a new pair of binoculars and they were dreadful, I’d be all like “Pfft, never gettin these again.” Unless they arrived broken in two or something.

One thing I have noticed with especially cheaper binoculars is that it can be a notable difference between the left and right barrel of the same binocular. This disturbs me because I want at least an even quality within the same instrument.

The phrase and the idea of a “…freak sample” in a positive sense literally made me laugh. You received the opposite of a defective item. What word would describe that? It was hyper-effective, maybe? 🙂

Serious question: If you have super awesome 7x32s, what motivates you to continue jonesing for more similarly configured binoculars?

Also, when you returned the Mavens, did they confirm you had a defective pair?

I've compared my Hawke 7x32 to my Leica Retrovid 7x35 many times and sometimes I actually prefer the view of the Hawkes, that's how freaky and hyper- effective they are!

What motivates me to get more similarly configured binoculars? Hmmm, well, being an incurable binoholic probably has something to do with it.

There really should be more (than one?) 7x28's though, it's a great configuration. Potentially really compact but with a 4mm exit pupil. What's not to like?

No, Maven didn't confirm a defective pair, they just apologised for them not being as sharp as I'd like ( i.e. blunt as a spoon)and gave me a prompt refund. I'd like to give them another chance though as they were really well built and such a nice size and I don't doubt all the positive comments about them here.

For my copy I don't recall seeing any edge aberrations but I didn't look for it either. What I couldn't get over was the single hinge. If they had been double hinge they would have had a nice compactness to them but I couldn't stand the empty space they left behind when folded. Also I had got them as a gift for someone else and they ultimately decided they didn't want any bino (no fault of the maven's). That said, I do still think about them. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back