• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ME66 Mic got stuck with WSS 2012 inner material (1 Viewer)

marioreyesjr

Hi, I didn't remove the Auray WSS 2012 windshield from my ME66 microphone in one year, and today when I did remove it, I discovered all the inner material was completely shattered into pieces, and the me66 mic top mesh was covered with this material.

1. What could've been the reason for this inner material to shatter into nothing??

2. Second but MOST IMPORTANT, I already "cleaned up" the top mesh of the mic but still some material inside that can't be removed, any suggestions on how to clean it up?

Attachments

• IMG_20230602_103221786.jpg
    IMG_20230602_103221786.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230602_103248207_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230602_103248207_HDR.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230602_103253758.jpg
    IMG_20230602_103253758.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230602_104519108.jpg
    IMG_20230602_104519108.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 5
Hi, I didn't remove the Auray WSS 2012 windshield from my ME66 microphone in one year, and today when I did remove it, I discovered all the inner material was completely shattered into pieces, and the me66 mic top mesh was covered with this material.

1. What could've been the reason for this inner material to shatter into nothing??

2. Second but MOST IMPORTANT, I already "cleaned up" the top mesh of the mic but still some material inside that can't be removed, any suggestions on how to clean it up?
Problem 2 solved,
  1. Unscrew the upper grid and ring (using a rubber band), then remove the particles inside.
  2. Put back the ring/grid.
Still need help finding the cause of my Auray WSS 2012 issue.

Thanks in advance!

Maybe some chemical interaction between the rubber and metal? Or high temperatures at some point?
That said soft plastics often don't age well, and this is supposed to be a very light structure so that it doesn't block the sound!
Just by using my Rycote I feel that it will not last forever, I'm using it for less than a year now, but I had this thought well before reading your post.
Still you should contact the company/reseller, and explain what happened.

A lot of plastics (including foam in wind screens) doesn’t last forever. UV, temperature, oils (from handlinging), moisture etc. can all effect the ageing process.

I have had the plastic cover of headphones disintegrate (perhaps the result of sun lotion contamination, when I hung them round my neck - Byerdynamics, so not a cheap make), one foam wind screen crumble (Senheisser), and recently the foam on my Telinga mic started to crumble (after about 15 years) - apparently the MII and III mics have better quality foam that last longer. Just had the mic re-foamed!

Some people also say ionisers also accelerate the process of ageing.

I suppose the answer is store when dry, away from sunlight, in a cool place. Also probably best to take off the cover if you are not going to use it for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back