• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Impresive Leica service for my 18 years old Trinovid 8x20 BCA (1 Viewer)

milvusmilvus

Spain
Hello everyone. More or less 20 years ago my wife and I started this wonderfull hobby of birdwatching. Two years after that we both decided to upgrade our 10X25 Tasco for something better. For that time big alphas where out of reach for us, so we decided on two pocket binos of reputable names. She decided on a Swarovski 8X20 Pocket and I did on a Leica Trinovid 8X20 BCA.

Not long after we had a child, and Birdwatching was "left unattended" for many years, with just ocasional short trips to get rid of "bird abstinence syndrome". Unfortunately our son is not quite fond to birdwatching and nature in general. Now that he has grown it is easier for us to go on birdwatching trips so we have recovered the passion for birdwatching (and for optics in my case too). Aside from some new binocular purchases, I wanted to set our pocket binos up. Them both have been sent to their respectives factories for some repairs. I will talk here about the experience with Leica, and I'll do the same for the Swarovski in the corresoponding subforum.

My Leicas had the rubber over the bridge starting to peel. I tried to remove it completely because I wanted to apply new glue to it, and I damaged it. The looks was worse than before. I contacted Leica and I were honest to them, explaining them that I tried to service the binos myself. They asked me to send the binos to them, as they are still under warranty (for that time in Europe both Leica and Swarovski offered 30 years of warranty. Not anymore, as now it is just 10 years). They didn't confirmed me if they were going to cover it under warranty, but I was willing to pay to have my beloved first good quality binos looking as new.

I went to the dealer I bought them, Óptica Roma in Madrid, a wonderful shop with excellent client attention and huge variety of optics. By the way, they pay me nothing, it is me who spend more often that I should :) They arranged the shipment to Leica Portugal.

A little more than two weeks after I received a call from Óptica Roma telling me that they had my binos back from Leica, fixed and free of charge. When I went to pick them up the salesperson showed up with a bubble wrap package containing a brown leather case (I sent them "naked"), so I said him he was mistaken, but after checking the documents those were my binos. They had gifted me with a gorgeus leather case like this one but in brown: Funda de piel, negro

My binos where inside the case, with a new rubber skin for the bridge, new rubber objective protections and eyecups, with the axels covers replaced, as thew where lost long time ago and well greased.

I though that I must credit Leica for this top notch service, as I'm quite grateful for the service and the attention I received from Leica.

Best regards!

Hello everyone. More or less 20 years ago my wife and I started this wonderfull hobby of birdwatching. Two years after that we both decided to upgrade our 10X25 Tasco for something better. For that time big alphas where out of reach for us, so we decided on two pocket binos of reputable names. She decided on a Swarovski 8X20 Pocket and I did on a Leica Trinovid 8X20 BCA.

Not long after we had a child, and Birdwatching was "left unattended" for many years, with just ocasional short trips to get rid of "bird abstinence syndrome". Unfortunately our son is not quite fond to birdwatching and nature in general. Now that he has grown it is easier for us to go on birdwatching trips so we have recovered the passion for birdwatching (and for optics in my case too). Aside from some new binocular purchases, I wanted to set our pocket binos up. Them both have been sent to their respectives factories for some repairs. I will talk here about the experience with Leica, and I'll do the same for the Swarovski in the corresoponding subforum.

My Leicas had the rubber over the bridge starting to peel. I tried to remove it completely because I wanted to apply new glue to it, and I damaged it. The looks was worse than before. I contacted Leica and I were honest to them, explaining them that I tried to service the binos myself. They asked me to send the binos to them, as they are still under warranty (for that time in Europe both Leica and Swarovski offered 30 years of warranty. Not anymore, as now it is just 10 years). They didn't confirmed me if they were going to cover it under warranty, but I was willing to pay to have my beloved first good quality binos looking as new.

I went to the dealer I bought them, Óptica Roma in Madrid, a wonderful shop with excellent client attention and huge variety of optics. By the way, they pay me nothing, it is me who spend more often that I should :) They arranged the shipment to Leica Portugal.

A little more than two weeks after I received a call from Óptica Roma telling me that they had my binos back from Leica, fixed and free of charge. When I went to pick them up the salesperson showed up with a bubble wrap package containing a brown leather case (I sent them "naked"), so I said him he was mistaken, but after checking the documents those were my binos. They had gifted me with a gorgeus leather case like this one but in brown: Funda de piel, negro

My binos where inside the case, with a new rubber skin for the bridge, new rubber objective protections and eyecups, with the axels covers replaced, as thew where lost long time ago and well greased.

I though that I must credit Leica for this top notch service, as I'm quite grateful for the service and the attention I received from Leica.

Best regards!
Hello, Milano Real. I will try to write to you in my poor English, even though we are both Spanish. These days I was in the eternal doubt between buying a Leica Trinovid 8x20 (I use to travel by bike and every gram matters) or saving a little more and buying finally the swaro 8x25. I leaned towards these for the optical quality and the good reputation of their after-sales service. And towards Leica, I have always loved their optics and cameras, because their balance and color saturation were unbeatable. Reading your text has -finally- inclined me towards the 8x20 trinovid. In addition, they are made in a country that I especially love: Portugal. Thank you

Hello, Milano Real. I will try to write to you in my poor English, even though we are both Spanish. These days I was in the eternal doubt between buying a Leica Trinovid 8x20 (I use to travel by bike and every gram matters) or saving a little more and buying finally the swaro 8x25. I leaned towards these for the optical quality and the good reputation of their after-sales service. And towards Leica, I have always loved their optics and cameras, because their balance and color saturation were unbeatable. Reading your text has -finally- inclined me towards the 8x20 trinovid. In addition, they are made in a country that I especially love: Portugal. Thank you
Hello Javier!

I hope you enjoy your new purchase. They are really great little binoculars. I also love the neighbour country and their kind people.

Best regards. Un saludo!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back