• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

meadow pipit? (1 Viewer)

LMG

Is this a meadow pipit? I thought it was but the beak seems more bunting-like now! It's got the long back claw so it must be a meadow pipit?

Attachments

• 91.jpg
    91.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 235
Hi LMG,

As Chris said, it's definitely a Linnet. There are quite a few differences between Linnet and Meadow Pipit aside from plumage detail alone. Things to watch for also are; Diet: Meadow Pipit is an insect eater while Linnets concentrate mainly on seeds, hence the bill difference. Another good point of note is that Pipits "walk". Linnets and other finches "hop".

Hope this helps you,

Regards,

Thanks for the help. I wasn't thinking juveniles at all! There was a pair, which made me think male, female. I managed to get a dozen good shots through my window, they were very cooperative. They're are first for me, I've seen adults before but not the youngsters. Nice to know they bred successfully.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back