• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Meopro (1 Viewer)

dries1

Just wanted to give a heads up regarding the older Meopro HD models.

I purchased a Meopro 8X32 HD not too long ago (2017date of manufacture) new in box, and after some use, I really liked them, except that I noticed the tubes were not focusing simultaneously. So I registered them and contacted Meopta regarding service.

Meopta informed me that they do not service these models anymore and the 10X32 HDs, (the matter of the older design 8X42 or 10X42 did not come up). This is worldwide not just Meopta USA.
They did inform me that they still service the original B1s which I have a couple, so that was a relief - if they ever needed service.

If the vendor had another HD which worked as manufactured, I might have taken the risk and purchased them, they do really make a good glass.
They were returned to the vendor, who learned the same bit of info that day about the HDs.

I really thought it was a very good 8X32 for the money. A shame really.

Just wanted to give a heads up regarding the older Meopro HD models.

I purchased a Meopro 8X32 HD not too long ago (2017date of manufacture) new in box, and after some use, I really liked them, except that I noticed the tubes were not focusing simultaneously. So I registered them and contacted Meopta regarding service.

Meopta informed me that they do not service these models anymore and the 10X32 HDs, (the matter of the older design 8X42 or 10X42 did not come up). This is worldwide not just Meopta USA.
They did inform me that they still service the original B1s which I have a couple, so that was a relief - if they ever needed service.

If the vendor had another HD which worked as manufactured, I might have taken the risk and purchased them, they do really make a good glass.
They were returned to the vendor, who learned the same bit of info that day about the HDs.

I really thought it was a very good 8X32 for the money. A shame really.
Thanks for this information. Bad news i think, i bought some used Leica’s unseen so with the risk of needing service.
Sometimes with warranty and sometimes without. Leica can help most of the time. My Leitz 7x35 B they won’t service anymore though but it’s over 40 years old.

But a 2017 Meopta….i was thinking of a Meopta 12x50 but after this intel I’m not so sure anymore.

The Meopta Meostar models, (save the armor and coating difference over the years), have common internals, and according to Meopta, Meostar service is good to go. The only thing that pushed me away from the 12X50 was just that incremental lacking of eye relief, otherwise one of the best 12X50s out there, and there are very few.

Looks like they are just servicing the new Meopro Air models, and new Meopro HD ED models in 10X42 and 8X56 which are also new models.

If you are a Meopta fan, you will read :) ...
But such a shame. This most likely is indicative of the direction Meopta is going and it is not continuing into the Binocular world. Although, it is interesting that their scope is the same scope being used by the US Army, from what I was told, ....so they have a pretty large 'account' from that alone. Maybe their marketing needs to sell their binoculars to the Army as well.

@dries1
So did the diopter wander? I don't really understand the issue. Both tubes not focussing simultaneously would mean the diopter seeting between both tubes wasn't the same. What happened when you adjusted the diopter? I noticed on my Meopro HD that the diopter setting is a bit finicky. I only have to adjust it by a small amount between both eyes. Different from other binoculars I have. But once it's dialed in, it stays that way.

No the tubes definitely did not move simultaneously, I used it for about three hours with resetting the diopter. They went back for a refund. Too bad, it was a nice glass. I am getting my Meostar 8X32 B1 Plus back from service today so I am looking forward to using them again.

Ah, okay. Yeah, that's too bad. I quite like mine. Especially the small amount of distortion, be that field curvature or pincushion distortion. It does have a slight rolling ball effect for me but that doesn't bother me. CA is also well controlled. Eye placement can be a bit finicky though.

It was a perfect size 8X32 for me, easy to grip and the eyecups fit well. It will be interesting in the year ahead regarding what moves Meopta Sport Optics will make. I must say though the B1 Plus series is some very good glass. I have the B1s in 7 and 8X42 and though they are from 2012, still perform excellent.

So the model has a lifetime warranty. Since they don't service them do they send you a new one if you send in a defective one?
Good point Chuck, since mine was a new purchase (new old stock 2017 production date) from a recognized retailer Meopta stated to return them to the vendor. I would be curious about how they would handle a warranty for one registered by the owner years ago.
This is pertaining to the original US Meopta Warranty.

So the model has a lifetime warranty. Since they don't service them do they send you a new one if you send in a defective one?
Good point Chuck, since mine was a new purchase (new old stock 2017 production date) from a recognized retailer Meopta stated to return them to the vendor. I would be curious about how they would handle a warranty for one registered by the owner years ago.

Last edited:
I am thinking the warranty is defunct.... I have a Meostar and hope it keeps on kicking but figure there is no warranty anymore from Meopta... Jim

Hmm.. That doesn't sound too promising.
I am thinking the warranty is defunct.... I have a Meostar and hope it keeps on kicking but figure there is no warranty anymore from Meopta... Jim
It kinda sounds like it. I kinda hate it. I've always liked Meopta products too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back