• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MeoStar B1.1 8x56 (1 Viewer)

I tried both of these at the last UK Birdfair. Both are well built, the Meostar less refined (as you would expect from the price) but also giving the impression of being very robust. The Meostar handles better, it's noticeably more compact (but is still a large binocular). Image wise the Meostar is very good indeed and does everything you expect from an 8x56 (bright, comfortable view etc), but this model of SLC is truly outstanding. It delivers a beauty of image that makes you feel that 8x binoculars in any smaller format are a little lacking. The price you pay for that superlative image quality however is weight and size (and cost).

I'd be surprised if you did not notice a difference between these two binoculars, but the Meostar version is itself a strong performer, and you may well think the difference between them (between £300 and £500+ here in the UK) is not worth paying for.
So when the difference in price between new copies of these two (through an authorised dealer) reaches £1,500...?

Took delivery of a brand new Meostar 8x50 B1.1 yesterday. I think I've been lucky, no signs of any of the quality control issues others have reported (particularly with newer B1 Plus versions), but I've only given them a brief test. Alignment spot on, focus wheel seems perfect (no play or rough patches), they fit me perfectly (raised one click stop with my glasses on) and they handle beautifully, so I foresee a winter of great content with these, they're a cracking pair of big bangers!

I think luck had nothing to do with you receiving a good binocular. I have handled numerous pairs of Meopta binoculars and all had no quality control issues. Just because some having quality control issues for whatever reason slip thru to the end users, does not diminish that their products are well received worldwide. The fact that they are manufacturing Alpha Grade Optics at reasonable prices, I think reinforces how good their Quality Control actually is.

I think luck had nothing to do with you receiving a good binocular. I have handled numerous pairs of Meopta binoculars and all had no quality control issues. Just because some having quality control issues for whatever reason slip thru to the end users, does not diminish that their products are well received worldwide. The fact that they are manufacturing Alpha Grade Optics at reasonable prices, I think reinforces how good their Quality Control actually is.
I'll buy into that, happily.

But, my own two previous Meostar purchases were sadly not as good as this one. A 7x50 needed to be returned due to excessive play in the focus wheel and an 8x42 was very obviously out of alignment. Both were the only copies the dealers had in stock, so were returned for refund.

So, I'll beg a little latitude for my "lucky" quip, please.

I'll buy into that, happily.

But, my own two previous Meostar purchases were sadly not as good as this one. A 7x50 needed to be returned due to excessive play in the focus wheel and an 8x42 was very obviously out of alignment. Both were the only copies the dealers had in stock, so were returned for refund.

So, I'll beg a little latitude for my "lucky" quip, please.
Ok .. I will give you those two(y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back