• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Micros (I think) Sussex Uk (1 Viewer)

Jan-Paul Charteris

Sussex birder and budding moth enthusiast
Found these in the daytime today in the south downs. Not sure if the two elongated ones are the same species as they were two individuals and colour/pattern looks a bit different. Anyone able to help with IDing them?

Attachments

• IMG_0843.JPG
    IMG_0843.JPG
    297 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0914.JPG
    IMG_0914.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0924.JPG
    IMG_0924.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 22
No. 1 Looks like a very worn Pyrausta aurata
Here's one I saw yesterday, but it was much more colourful. Identical markings to your specimen.
There are colour variations as well if you look up UK Moths for pyrausta.
Dave

Attachments

• Pyrausta aurata Chalky Bank 070813c1.jpg
    Pyrausta aurata Chalky Bank 070813c1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
No. 1 Looks like a very worn Pyrausta aurata
Here's one I saw yesterday, but it was much more colourful. Identical markings to your specimen.
There are colour variations as well if you look up UK Moths for pyrausta.
Dave

Cheers for the reply Dave, looking it up on Uk Moths, I wonder whether Pyrausta purpuralis may be better based on the pale markings on the forewing? Shame it's so worn!

1. I agree that it's P. purpuralis.
2. Pass
3. If it was genuinely that long and thin, and it's not just a result of the camera angle then its a worn Nomophila noctuella Rush Veneer

1. I agree that it's P. purpuralis.
2. Pass
3. If it was genuinely that long and thin, and it's not just a result of the camera angle then its a worn Nomophila noctuella Rush Veneer

Cheers Sean. I'm pretty sure the second photo was the same species as the last. Just looks less narrow because of the angle, and it was a less worn individual. Another photo of the last individual here taken more or less looking square on at it to show the shape was consistent and not due to angle :)

Attachments

• IMG_0920.JPG
    IMG_0920.JPG
    293 KB · Views: 18
Certainly happy with noctuella for 3 but I struggle to see that 2 is also noctuella. Check out the legs in 3. Noctuella has 'spurs' whereas the insect in the second photo appears not to have them. Actually I'm not sure that 2 is a moth? A real entemologist might put it to a grouping on the physical characters visible in the photo?

It might be worth posting in the 'Other insects' forum?

All the best

Thanks Paul :) Can just make out a couple of spurs at least on the near hind leg, just under the wing. I remember it being the same shape as the one in the last photo.

Cheers for your help both of ya :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back