• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minor on Yuhina flavicollis constantiae Ripley, 1953 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Yuhina flavicollis constantiae Ripley, 1953 OD https://bibliotheques.mnhn.fr/EXPLO...023_N002&i=MNHN_RFOOI_1953_T023_N002_0019.jpg
Remarques. - Ce m'est un grand plaisir de nommer cette sous-espèce en l'honneur de ma mère, Constance Baillie Rose RIPLEY, qui m'a toujors vivement encouragé dans mes recherches ornithologiques.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds
Whiskered Yuhina ssp. Yuhina flavicollis constantiae Ripley, 1953
Mrs Constance Baillie Ripley née Rose (1877–1961) was the mother of S. Dillon Ripley.

Constance Baillie Ripley née Rose (1877-1961) mother of US ornithologist S. Dillon Ripley (cf. his sister Constance Dillon Ripley (b. 1904)) (subsp. Yuhina flavicollis).

According Constance Baillie Rose Ripley (1874-1961) - Find... she was born 23 Dez 1874

Even if not relevant for the name but mentioned in the BOW key there is also written:
CONSTANCE Dillon Ripley born June 11, 1904 in New York City; died Nov. 26, 1993 in Litchfield; married Thomas David Williams (1908 - 1980)

But feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Yes everything in BOW key is apparently wrong.

Birth Date 23 Dec. 1874
Birth Place Ottawa, Ottawa Municipality, Ontario, Canada
Death Date 23 Jul. 1961
Death Place Litchfield County, Connecticut, United States of America
Cemetery East Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place Litchfield, Litchfield County, Connecticut, United States of America
Spouse
Louis Arthur Dillon Ripley

Yes everything in BOW key is apparently wrong.
Paul, "everything" is (at least in my mind) a word far too strong.

As far as I've seen most of what we're told in Jobling's Key is fully correct.

If you don't agree, please elaborate.

Or was it just an ironic, alt. sarcastic, or even dejected, remark? Due to Martin's many, many different threads ... ?

Björn

Last edited:
Yes sarcasm - Constance Dillon Ripley (1904-1993)) is of course his sister as is explained who is honoured with another bird's eponym. Yuhina flavicollis constantiae according to the OD is named after the mother - "l'honneur de ma mère"

The birth date is 1874.

Thanks, Paul ...

Alt. in full "... en l'honneur de ma mère, Constance Baillie Rose RIPLEY, ..."

Just like it's engraved on her gravestone/tombstone (note: with no née part).

Thus, agreed, in this case Ripley's OD itself gives us (and the Key) no need to compare "cf. with "his sister Constance".

To me, this one (Yuhina flavicollis constantiae) looks like an open-and-shut case.

Cheers

Björn

Last edited:
... his sister as is explained who is honoured with another bird's eponym. ...
Paul, what taxon/eponym do you think/consider/believe is commemorating Ripley's sister [Constance Dillon Ripley (1904-1993)] ... ? :unsure:

In my notes (not in my MS) I only have his Father-in-Law [Gerald Moncrieffe Livingston (1883-1950)] commemorated in the ssp. Pterorhinus/Garrulax caerulatus livingstoni RIPLEY 1952 (here), as well as Ripley's wife [i.e. "Mary Moncrieffe Ripley née Livingston (1914-1996)", as it's told in today's Key], who was/is remembered in several mariae subspecies (earlier, back in 2021, dealt with here).

Just curious ...

Björn

Last edited:
I still cannot fathom why Constance Baillie Rose should have been christened Constance Baillie Rose Rose (i.e. her father’s surname). Have I missed the birth certificate? In Anglo America it was frequent to style women in later life with their maiden name adjoined to their married name (I assume following on from the usual Hispanic and Latin American standard).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back