• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox BF 8x25 vs BV 8x25 - difference and is either worth buying? (1 Viewer)

Does anyone know the key differences between the BF 8x25 and the BV 8x25 - the BV is more expensive which would suggest its better but does anyone know if that truly is the case?

Also, as compact binoculars go would you recommend these or have you found better in this price range?

Background:
  • Christmas present for my dad. My dad currently used a free national trust pair so any binoculars will likely be an improvement (I would hope!)
  • Occasional use when out walking - im weighing up whether its better to get him a compact pair or 8x32 (Opticron Adventurer II WP 8x32 Binoculars is the frontrunner atm)
  • Wears glasses so eye relief is a consideration
Thanks for reading and any advice you can offer!

Last edited:
Are you considering the newer BV model with the double bridge or the older smaller version with single bridge? Either version is better optically than the BF version. While the newer BV model is superior optically to the old BV as well, it is longer and heavier and the handling ergonomics of the small double bridge design may not suit everyone. Both the older and newer BV are more nicely constructed than the BF. Eye relief on all three is very good for me with close fitting sunglasses.

Here in the states all these are currently listed as either "discontinued" or "out of stock" so I can't get any reliable pricing info and the prices may be different in Europe anyway. The higher the price on any of the Minox goes, the more you are paying for the solid quality of construction and finish as opposed to optical quality. Based on owning a number of different pocket models, the BF is competitive optically at @ $100 to $125, the older BV @ $125 to $150 and the newer BV @$200 to $250.

Unless your father wants or needs a pocket binocular, I think an 8x32 would be a better choice generally. IME Opticron offers good quality for the money but I have no experience with the Adventurer 8x32 you are considering.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Are you considering the newer BV model with the double bridge or the older smaller version with single bridge? Either version is better optically than the BF version. While the newer BV model is superior optically to the old BV as well, it is longer and heavier and the handling ergonomics of the small double bridge design may not suit everyone. Both the older and newer BV are more nicely constructed than the BF. Eye relief on all three is very good for me with close fitting sunglasses.

Here in the states all these are currently listed as either "discontinued" or "out of stock" so I can't get any reliable pricing info and the prices may be different in Europe anyway. The higher the price on any of the Minox goes, the more you are paying for the solid quality of construction and finish as opposed to optical quality. Based on owning a number of different pocket models, the BF is competitive optically at @ $100 to $125, the older BV @ $125 to $150 and the newer BV @$200 to $250.

Unless your father wants or needs a pocket binocular, I think an 8x32 would be a better choice generally. IME Opticron offers good quality for the money but I have no experience with the Adventurer 8x32 you are considering.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Thank you so much for your response and advice - I wasn’t aware there was an old and new BV model. The BV model I’m looking at are in the sale so I suspect they are the older model but I now know to check - thank you! Good to know the eye relief is enough from someone who has used them.

I think I’ll reflect and then make a decision between the smaller compact BV or the Opticron.

thank you again, have a great weekend!

I’d opt for an 8x32. I had the 8x25s and they were very hard to use because of the tiny eyecups. Also you’ll get a much better fov with the 32s and they’ll be brighter and more of an all around binocular.

With Minox the BV models are the lesser ones, and the V means "value". I do not have experience with any of
thes small models they make, but wanted to point that out.

In general, good small pocket type binoculars are hard to make well in the lower price range. I would recommend getting a bit larger 30 -32 mm size
in whatever brand you decide. For the same money you can get a better quality and more enjoyable binocular.

Your father will enjoy your gift. Merry Christmas to one and all.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back