• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mist nets (1 Viewer)

llewodowells

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to put this but here goes.

I am looking to buy (as cheap as possible) quality mist nets, and was wondering if anyone had any for sale, or new of a good place to purchase them from.

Many thanks

Be very careful as there are lots of VERY cheap mist nets available online but these are likely to cause injury to birds. The netting is almost monofilament and although it would catch birds, the risk is an unknown without any testing.

I would be deeply disappointed if you could just buy them off the internet.

I've just searched for "mist net" on ebay.

Was shocked to find there are lots available from China and Honk Kong ,from £3.81 for a 8.5 metre net.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=mist+net&_sacat=0&_from=R40

The advert reads as though they are for using to protect fruit trees!

This is part of it.

•Prevents birds from eating vegetation and fruit crops, will not harm birds.
•This Netting is used in agricultural planting, like to protect orchard, vineyards and vegetable farm from birds.
•Ideal for keeping those annoying birds off your ponds, plants and fruit.
•Easy to install, practical and secure solution.
•It's practical and won't hurt birds badly, catch and release them more easily.

This can't be right.

Pete.

I agree with you Pete.
The straining lines, the sizes and the end loops as also the material makes them clearly nettings for only one use, the caption of birds.
Correct bird protection nettings for wine yards are on very big rolls and never use straining lines!
Here a good example which our local farmers often use: http://www.witasek.com/grafiken/Bilder/seitenbespannung-g.jpg
Or take a look which nettings my family use to protect fruit trees:
http://bit.ly/QEveJ7

Both not very similar to the mist nets they are selling on ebay.co.uk
I guess selling bird catching devices to unauthorised persons is unlawfull. Seems that anyone familiar with English should contact them and explain the matter.

After reading what Pete wrote, I also searched for mist nets on ebay. They definitely look like the ones used for catching birds by ringers. In the UK only licensed ringers can buy mist nets through the BTO. I've reported several of the sellers to ebay, especially those showing pictures of birds caught in the nets. I would encourage everybody reading this to do the same so that ebay would put a stop to such listings.

To report, go to the item description, on the right hand side (next to print) click on report item; this will load a new page for you to report the item.
In the Report Category menu - Select "Prohibited and Restricted Items",
Reason for Report - select "Illegal Items and items encouraging illegal activity"
Detailed reason - select "Other illegal activity concerns".

Hopefully ebay will be inundated with complaints and decide to ban listing these items, or the sellers. I'll be checking again in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, PLEASE ENCOURAGE EVERYBODY YOU KNOW TO COMPLAINING TO EBAY!!

Hi,
It's nearly 2 years since I first started to see these for sale on Ebay. I contacted several of my co-ringers and together we all complained to Ebay. The result was that they banned them from sale for a short time.

The problem is that apparently it's not illegal to sell or buy mist nets in the UK but it is illegal to use them without a license !!!

I think it would unfortunately take a change in the law to prevent the sale of these to all.

Last edited:
Thanks

Hi All

Thanks for the replies, I think the most important word missed in my post is the word quality. I am definitely not going to just buy them of ebay, hence why i was asking on a wild life forum for recommendations. I am a licenced bat worker and thought someone on here could recommend places to get mist netts. It seems i opened up a whole can of worms haha.

Thanks anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back