• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mistle or Song thrush (2 Viewers)

Continental Song Thrushes are greyer than British residents??
This is one of three that turned up on my patch (Kinghorn, Fife) last week. Am I safe in saying that it is probably a British resident, based on the brownish back?

Attachments

• DSCN5434.jpg
    DSCN5434.jpg
    724 KB · Views: 32
This is one of three that turned up on my patch (Kinghorn, Fife) last week. Am I safe in saying that it is probably a British resident, based on the brownish back?
As others say, this is a Mistle Thrush.

(But I see it as having a greyish cast to its back - the usual British Song Thrush a much warmer richer darker brown than this!

An example of the kind of 'grey' continental bird -

11/04/2018: Ivy berry Blackcaps and continental Song Thrush. )

Also, greyish back and lots of tiny, irregular dots, plus jizz (example below). I've also had the problem of my camera focusing on the wrong parts--you can sometimes adjust the focus by hand using Manual setting (that's its name, I think): it won't be supersharp but can well be better than Auto. Or, if you feel you're really bad at it, why don't you switch to bins only, taking field notes or sound recording. Not everybody has to take photos the likes of which we can see in the Gallery.

The below was taken with a DMC-FZ50 (if you really want to know ;)). My current profile picture of a(n unusually cooperative) Blackbird is much better because it was phonescoped using the bins.
Incidentally, I also posted two photos of a 'continental' Song Thrush upthread.

Attachments

• phone pic of a Song Thrush for comparison.jpg
    phone pic of a Song Thrush for comparison.jpg
    826.1 KB · Views: 14
  • phone pic of a Song Thrush for comparison (2).jpg
    phone pic of a Song Thrush for comparison (2).jpg
    850.3 KB · Views: 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back