• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MM4 77 GA ED 45 - construction? (1 Viewer)

Thrupenney Bit

United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm trying to do my homework regarding scopes, wondering what I might come across as there's a field day from a well known optics company coming up soon.

I'm aware that the MM4 77 might well be a price point I'm interested in.
I see some coming up second hand and also a new one might be an option compared to a second hand more expensive scope.
I can't make my mind up which way to go and homework is needed to help choose.

On the Opticron website, the comment about construction is 'Lightweight polycarbonate and alloy body'
Given that it seems to be quite light, what part of the body is alloy and what part polycarbonate?
just curios!
cheers
Q

The main body components are polycarbonate (objective cone, rear body) whilst the tripod mount ring and various internal components are alloy.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

I recently purchased a MM4 77. VERY recently as have had it about a week. Haven't used it much, one day. Overall quick assessment....pretty good for the price which was $1200ish. Focus very smooth. Eyepiece attachment...I actually like the scopes that have a more definitive "click" when eyepiece is attached. Not quite the scope the S2 is and I didn't expect it to be but I had no problems IDing everything with it that I could with the S2. Main shortcoming IMO is the objective cover that doesn't stay on and is held in place by plastic. This should be rethought. More comments as I get more experience with it.

IMG_2420.jpeg

IMG_2416.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back