• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch 82 or 60 with fixed 38/30x eyepiece? (2 Viewers)

Northman

Has anybody tried the 38/30x Fixed eyepiece on the Monarch 82 or 60.

I wanted the 82mm Monarch, but maybe the 38x would be to much, and might instead consider the 60mm Monarch.

How does it compare to the 30-60 zoom?
It has better eye relief, AFOV, but how easy is it to look through? Clear all the way out to edges?

Sorry I can't comment on your specific eye piece but I do have the monarch 82.

I use the 20-60 zoom as it has a wider true fov at the lower end than any of the other eye pieces for finding targets as well as the largest exit pupil at the lower end of all the eye pieces. It also has the same ultimate magnification at the higher end although not quite as wider afov at the top end as the 30-60.

It works very well as you can scan more area at the lower end and then get close at 60x if atmospheric conditions allow as well as being able to use low magnification/large exit pupil if light levels are low.

I've used fixed magnification eye pieces in other scopes in the past, they tend to present a wider (afov) and nicer image. You also don't have the aggro of the eye relief changing as you move through the zoom range and are much more pleasant to use overall.

It depends how and where you use your scope though, I've had occasion where I can see, watch and i.d birds at 60x that I struggle to get a good look at at 30x or occasionally even i.d.

When comparing the monarch 60 to the 82 it's worth noting that it's the same scope other than the last few inches to the objective, the prism housing, focuser etc is just as big with the 60mm so it works out as being quite a large and heavy small scope, much bigger than say the swaro atc even though the objective is only 4mm bigger where as the 82 is pretty much on par with other options in its size range.

The 20-60 zoom has very decent edge sharpness and good control of c.a.

Will

We use the Baader MKIV Hyperion zoom on my wife's Monarch 82. I consider it to be optically superior to either of the Nikon zooms (particularly for correction of lateral CA). It has a magnification range of about 21-63X. Frankly, I can't imagine getting along without the high magnifications. We use them extensively nearly every time we go out with the scope. A limit of 38x would be totally unacceptable to me in a scope as competent at high magnification as the Monarch 82. I seldom use it at 38x or less except to find things.

Last edited:
For Dan:

30-60W&38W_2.jpg

The 30-60W has big and spacious eyecup with 42mm internal diameter for your viewing eye. The 38W's internal diameter is smaller at 33mm, but still comfortable to rest my eye on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back