• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch 82 with Baader 2.25 Barlow and Baader Zoom Mk IV (1 Viewer)

excelior

Canada
Hi,

First time poster here!

I am looking to potentially purchase a Nikon Monarch 82ED-A after many glowing reviews on this forum. I've read that it's possible to adapt a Baader Zoom lens to the body, but what I'm wondering is if anyone has had any success adding the 2.25x Barlow lens that Baader has designed to use with their Zoom lens?

It seems like the optics of the scope could easily handle higher magnification for light astro use or very good seeing conditions.

I have no experience with either of those optics but I would caution the use of barlows in spotting scopes as many don't have enough back focus to focus at infinity with a barlow.

Hello and welcome!

You won't be disappointed with the monarch, it's an excellent scope.

For astronomy I use mine alongside my dob - I can check if something's of interest poking up behind trees etc with the Nikon before moving the dob around, c.a is visible at night time with the standard zoom but lessens significantly with correct eye position. C.a is no problem during the day.

I'm not sure about barlowing it - I'm quite happy with the standard zoom so haven't got the baader.

The main reason I'm replying is to say to check the scope like you would any other - I know the monarch has a low rate of sample variation thanks to Henry's investigations - but I still had to exchange the first example I got as it wasn't quite up to scratch.

Will

It's unlikely that you would achieve infinity focus in the 2,25x configuration but possible that it would work at around 1,3x with the barlow lens attached directly to the eyepiece. The Baader Q-turret is not a big investment, so maybe worth a try.
See here: Birding Scope plus Barlow.

John

It probably will reach focus but you might have to use a Baader 1.25" extension tube with 18.5mm length instead of the original adapter - see
using 2.25x barlow Baader Hyperion with other zoom.
If you aren't in a rush, I might try to measure the focus shift since I have the Baader zoom and the barlow, but I can take a couple of weeks... Let me know if you can wait and are interested.
John post is about other barlow, not the one for the Hyperion zoom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back