• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

monoculars ? (1 Viewer)

colin mm

im thinking of getting a monocular but know nothing of the quality and price,my reason is to carry them in my pocket at all times,becouse i missed a few birds becouse they were just out of eye reach to make out any detail,a lot lighter than compacts andeasier to have handy all the time,,,any views or advice please :h?:

I bought a cheap 'Gelert' 8x21 monocular - £5! Its horrible to use with a narrow field of view but its tiny so I keep it in my pocket whenever I don't want to take bins. I used it to look at some ring ouzels up in the lakes recently, not ideal, but lots lighter on a long hike with few birds.

I'd like to have a look through a quality monocular though.

Rob

Rob

I noticed that Opticron have recently introduced some high quality monoculars and they're listed on Warehouse Express. I was thinking about getting one myself for the same reasons you stated. I'm tempted by the 8x42 BGA. Please post your impressions if you get one.
Cheers
John

solentbirder said:
I noticed that Opticron have recently introduced some high quality monoculars and they're listed on Warehouse Express. I was thinking about getting one myself for the same reasons you stated. I'm tempted by the 8x42 BGA. Please post your impressions if you get one.
Cheers
John

ill let you know as soon as i get one,having it in my pocket would have helped me see wot i just missed,on my way to work i walk through a church yard and theres sometimes a few birds about,it would have been nice to be able to whip it out and take a better look,it has to be better than missing them. ;)

Colin,

If it is not too late to add my suggestion, I would recommend a small folding binocular as an alternative. I have used them for similar reasons for donkeys' years. I initially bought them as I am a keen motorcyclist and space for such things is at a premium, but have used them for all manner of occasions, including concerts, theatre, sporting events - the list goes on. They may be a bit larger than a monocular, but you can look through them for ages without suffering eye strain.

I have used both Zeiss and now Leica, but there are more economical makes available now (there weren't 30 years ago when I bought the Zeiss!)

Graham. ;)

grbrown said:
Colin,

If it is not too late to add my suggestion, I would recommend a small folding binocular as an alternative. I have used them for similar reasons for donkeys' years. I initially bought them as I am a keen motorcyclist and space for such things is at a premium, but have used them for all manner of occasions, including concerts, theatre, sporting events - the list goes on. They may be a bit larger than a monocular, but you can look through them for ages without suffering eye strain.

I have used both Zeiss and now Leica, but there are more economical makes available now (there weren't 30 years ago when I bought the Zeiss!)

Graham. ;)

hi graham,no its not too late ,iv been tied up at work for a while and havnt had chance to even think about it,but i like the sound of what your saying,wots the price range for those mini bino s,i darent ask about lieka or zeiss,but tell me anyway,curiosity you know ;)

Colin,

They can be bought for as little as £35 (Bushnell). I recommend a bit of what I call armchair research on the internet, as many of the well-known brands sell them, but prices vary widely. I haven't studied the market extensively! Then try to find a shop where you can try a few pairs, rather than buying unseen, as it is remarkable how much bins can vary.

Graham. |8.|

grbrown said:
Colin,

They can be bought for as little as £35 (Bushnell). I recommend a bit of what I call armchair research on the internet, as many of the well-known brands sell them, but prices vary widely. I haven't studied the market extensively! Then try to find a shop where you can try a few pairs, rather than buying unseen, as it is remarkable how much bins can vary.

Graham. |8.|

hi graham, thanks for the idea,im definitely going to have a look at them,i didnt even know there were small folding binos,thats why i was thinking of the monoculars.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back