• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More Babbler shuffling! (1 Viewer)

passerina. 61. Ash-grey M[otacilla], greyish white below, with whitish eyebrows, with black remiges and tail.
Here, I would tend to think that the description corresponds more to Sylvia borin than to Curruca iberiae/subalpina/cantillans despite the reference to La Passerinette of Buffon (Bonnaterre (1823), under his Fauvette aedonie ou Bretonne Sylvia Ædonia, says "Nous avons reconnu depuis peu que la petite Fauvette de Brisson et la Passerinette de la pl. enl. de Buffon , n. 579 , fig. 2, n’appartiennent point à cette espèce [i.e. Sylvia Ædonia], comme on le dit dans la 2 e édit, du nouv. Dict, d’IIist. nat." – We have recently recognized that the Petite Fauvette of Brisson and the Passerinette of the Pl. enl. de BufFon, n. 579, fig. 2, do not belong to this species, as is said in the 2nd edition, of the new. Dict, from IIist. nat.").

However, I don't know what is the current synonym of Sylvia Ædonia

Bonnaterre described the "Fauvette passerinette" (Sylvia passerina) a few page later. My theory is that the name "Passerinette " was given by different authors (Buffon vs others) to different species (Sylvia borin vs Curruca cantillans complex) and that Gmelin was misled by the name Passerinette given by Buffon.

Sometimes binomial nomenclature isn't much help

Last edited:
Both Motacilla passerina Gmelin, 1788, and Sylvia Aedonia Vieillot, 1817, are listed in the synonymy of Sylvia borin (Boddaert, 1783), by Hartert, 1910, Vog. pal. Fauna, I, p. 582. Regarding colouration, Vaurie, 1959, Birds Pal. Fauna, Order Passeriformes, p. 255. remarks of Sylvia borin, "Clinal. A very gradual cline of decreasing saturation on the coloration of the upper parts and a change from brownish to greyish pigments runs from west to east from western to southeastern Europe and from Russia to Iran and Siberia. It is accompanied by one of increasing size"

Last edited:
Both Motacilla passerina Gmelin, 1788, and Sylvia Aedonia Vieillot, 1817, are listed in the synonymy of Sylvia borin (Boddaert, 1783), by Hartert, 1910, Vog. pal. Fauna, I, p. 582. Regarding colouration, Vaurie, 1959, Birds Pal. Fauna, Order Passeriformes, p. 255. remarks of Sylvia borin, "Clinal. A very gradual cline of decreasing saturation on the coloration of the upper parts and a change from brownish to greyish pigments runs from west to east from western to southeastern Europe and from Russia to Iran and Siberia. It is accompanied by one of increasing size"
Perfect. You are the one !! The Passerinette of Buffon is not the same Passerinette given by the following authors.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back