• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More Flycatchers from Belize (1 Viewer)

Robert D.

Hi.....I am looking for some more help with flycatchers. All pictures were taken in December.

The first 4 were taken at Hopkins....they are all different birds. My best view is that they are Dusky-Capped Flycatcher.

The last bird was taken at Mountain Pine Ridge....I think it may be a Great-crested.

thanks

Rob

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Untitled-4.jpg
    Untitled-4.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Untitled-x.jpg
    Untitled-x.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 58
Hi....just bringing my previous post up to the front of the list again in the hope that some fresh eyes may have some thoughts on the birds.

thanks

Rob

Hi....just bringing my previous post up to the front of the list again in the hope that some fresh eyes may have some thoughts on the birds.

thanks

Rob
Agree that last one is a Great Crested, based on the darkness of the throat, and the intensity of the yellow in the belly.

Don't see any problem with the first birds being Dusky-capped, except that the throat is rather whiter than I'd expect.

Just taking photo #2 as an example: peaked dark-brown head, narrow cinnamon tertial edges, and narrow rufous wing-bars all match the description of the bird in Howell & Webb (1995). I also notice that the plate (41-2(b)) depicting the SE Mexican ssp. (lawrenci) does depict rufous edging on the outer webs of the retricies. This is, I presume, the one you'd expect in Belize.

Mind you, I'd still rather hear it. |=\|

Everyone thanks for your help and I would certainly agree that they are a nightmare genus....they have really tested me and all the credit to those that can readily ID the like ones in the field.

Its for the very reasons that Peter mentions (the description in Howell & Webb) that made me believe that the first few are the Dusky-capped lawrenci ssp. I understand that thats the one to be found in Belize.

thanks again

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back