• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Morphnarchus princeps (Sclater, PL, 1865) (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Morphnarchus princeps (Sclater, PL, 1865) OD here

...this evening a specimen of a very fine and well-marked species of Accipitrine bird, ...

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Prince's Hawk Leucopternis princeps P. L. Sclater, 1865 [Alt. Barred Hawk]
This is not named after a specific person but rather as 'the prince of birds'.

The Key to Scientific Names
L. princeps, principis prince, chief, leader < primus foremost < super. prior, prius first; capere to take.

If Chief, Prince or Leader may everyone decide himself.

But the bird in relationship with an old acquaintance not completely solved.

arcaei as in:
● the Blue-and-gold Tanager (Buthraupis) Bangsia arcaei SCLATER & SALVIN 1869 (here, and Plate here) as "Buthraupis arcæi":

In my MS (and notes) I only have him as a local, Guatemalan collector (trained by Salvin), who moved to Western Panama in the 1860's, where lived in the Province Chiriquí and also collected in Veraguas ... until at least 1870, when he collected the Type of the Chiriqui Yellowthroat Geothlypis chiriquensis SALVIN 1872. But after that he simply vanished ... at least out of my view?

However; here he is mentioned by Salvin (in 1878) as "our late collector, Enrique Arcé, ..."

Which is why I´m in some doubt of the "fl." (flourished/still alive) part in today's Key:

Anyone who know more on this guy?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back