• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Most color strength in a binocular view? (1 Viewer)

Highway Dog

United States
I have tried over 5 different 8x ED binoculars. All were good. I still what to find the best even though it might not be natural color, but artificially produced. It doesn't have to be the the best light transmission.

Could it be a Zeiss binoculars? Could it be a Maven or GPO?

I like colorful flowers to look like jewels.....
Thanks for your help. Rob A.

I am now trying binoculars that are almost up to 1,000 dollars. (most used to save money)

I bought a Kowa Genesis 8.5x45. The view is good. The colors are just natural.

I bought a good Vixen Artes ED 10.5x45 WP. The colors seem a bit stronger. It seems to be almost there.
I may have to just accept what I find. I am going back to some of these, to see if I need to re-train my eyes.

I wonder about the Opticron Aurora. Some say its color is exceptional.
Reading about the Hawke APO, I hear the color is almost clinical. --not too strong.

It all seems to be related to the particular spectral transmission curve of the binocular: Some observers have noticed that the color saturation seems to increase whenever the transmission is high in the long-wavelength limit, that is red and orange. Most binoculars have their highest transmission somewhere in the green region and fall off towards blue and red. Leica and Nikon are comparably strong on the red side, which seems to intensify the perception of warmer colors. Zeiss traditionally offers high transmission on the blue side, which makes them excellent performers after sunset, but appears to have a negative influence on perceived color saturation.

Very interesting facts indeed, and unfortunately they still seem to be poorly understood by the manufacturers.

Cheers,
Holger

Trinovid HD shows saturated colors and doesn’t seem to me to be too warm (yellow). It’s a colorful yet natural image to my eyes. I use the 8x32 as my main bino. I believe mine has the latest updated coatings. There’s a crystalline/transparent quality to the view IMO.

The manufacturers are trying to provide contrast by filtering out the blue-green part of the spectrum which can be overpowering in daylight outdoors with all the foliage. Some will like the effect and others will not. The only binos that have bothered me in that respect was one from Zeiss but that was a sample of only one model of theirs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back