• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth Caterpillar (1 Viewer)

coaltit

United Kingdom
This Particular Caterpillar I photographed In my front porch this morning from memory I can,t remember the last time I saw a larvae this early In the year surely It's only chance of survival I would have thought would be to turn Into a chrysalis at this point, would anyone know what species of moth this Caterpillar may belong to? If It pupates hopefully I'll get another photo of It.

Coal Tit.

Attachments

• DSC00057.JPG
    DSC00057.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 16
No idea to the ID of this but many species successfully overwinter as larvae (caterpillars) so no worries there. Depending on the species they can overwinter in each stage- egg, larva, pupa or adult.

No idea to the ID of this but many species successfully overwinter as larvae (caterpillars) so no worries there. Depending on the species they can overwinter in each stage- egg, larva, pupa or adult.
Hi aeshna, I would have thought has larvae they would have to feed during the winter months the cold and practically none If any food around would be their demise which Is quite something Indeed.

Pretty sure that's Angle Shades (Phlogophora meticulosa). Species that overwinter as larvae (the majority) survive by lying dormant when food is unavailable. I guess a number of factors could trigger them into becoming active.

I agree with Angle Shades , I have had quite a few both green and brown , munching away in my garden ,even on very chilly nights .

Attachments

• 51826026406_2455e38579_c.jpg
    51826026406_2455e38579_c.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 4
Pretty sure that's Angle Shades (Phlogophora meticulosa). Species that overwinter as larvae (the majority) survive by lying dormant when food is unavailable. I guess a number of factors could trigger them into becoming active.
Hi Brian, Thankyou for your reply all very Interesting.

I agree with Angle Shades , I have had quite a few both green and brown , munching away in my garden ,even on very chilly nights .
Hi Creaturesnapper, I do recognise the larvae now from your photo thou my specimen was not as broad or wide in body as the ones I've seen In the past perhaps just a younger larvae.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back