• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moult and Ageing of European Passerines (2 Viewers)

Neil Hagley

Just in case you are short of cash and have a spare 'Jenni & Winkler' one has just sold on Ebay tonight for an incredible £215! If I remember rightly the last one went for £208 so it's probably a record.

On a serious note the sad thing about this is that these are not in themselves collectible (unlike New Naturalist or Poyser) but are presumably sought by ringers or trainees as working copies. I've got one so there is no vested interest here but surely there must be a justification for doing some kind of reprint at reasonable cost for the benefit of the ringing community. A similar thing happened when Svensson went out of print (whatever has happened to the 5th edition by the way??) when they were selling for silly money on Ebay. The BTO I think arranged a reprint and lo and behold sensible prices prevail.

WOW!!!! £215 for a 'Jenni & Winkler' one...

Now , several europeans ringers are compiled identification photos, specially Moult and Ageing in the LaBORINg Project ( www.anillamiento.net), "anillamiento" is the spanish word to "ringing"....

The main reason of the LaBORINg Project is can see birds in any time, anywhere..... from anytime, anywhere.....

Teaching and Learning,.... Learning and Teaching.....

Any new naturalist can consulte this web and if you want can upload your ringing photos too.

When the Ringing Awards exist...... Svensson, Jenni, Winkler,....will be the first!!!!!!!!!!

Just in case you are short of cash and have a spare 'Jenni & Winkler' one has just sold on Ebay tonight for an incredible £215! If I remember rightly the last one went for £208 so it's probably a record.

On a serious note the sad thing about this is that these are not in themselves collectible (unlike New Naturalist or Poyser) but are presumably sought by ringers or trainees as working copies. I've got one so there is no vested interest here but surely there must be a justification for doing some kind of reprint at reasonable cost for the benefit of the ringing community. A similar thing happened when Svensson went out of print (whatever has happened to the 5th edition by the way??) when they were selling for silly money on Ebay. The BTO I think arranged a reprint and lo and behold sensible prices prevail.

i seen one go on ebay a couple of years ago for just over £300, i paid £36 for mine.................................. any offers :)

Yikes, it seems like I have been away from ringing for a lifetime - cannot believe that the 5th edition of Svennson still has not put in an appearance and how much for a Jenni & Winkler ? ? ? ? Got mine from a bookshop clearance bin in Hay for a whole £10 (creased covers admittedly).

I asked the guys at BTO and got a very friendly reply, that they don't know about a near publication date of Svensson's 5th. Very likely not this year.

Hi folks,

Just to let you know that I have just received an advance copy of the reprinted version of this seminal work. Looks fab. So will be on sale again very soon.

Any queries drop me a line (jim.martin at bloomsbury.com)
With best wishes,
Jim

Yikes, it seems like I have been away from ringing for a lifetime - cannot believe that the 5th edition of Svennson still has not put in an appearance and how much for a Jenni & Winkler ? ? ? ? Got mine from a bookshop clearance bin in Hay for a whole £10 (creased covers admittedly).

Jenni and Winkler is going to be available again sonn as a reprint is being done, due Nov 2011, you can pre order it for £90 @ http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Moult-Ageing-European-Passerines-Lukas-Jenni/9781408155547

Can't believe I started this thread in 2007! Svennson 5th edition finally completed. On sale in some countries apparently & available for UK pre-order £19.99.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back