• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mountain Chiffchaff? Iran, Az arbayejan-e Gharbi, Naghadeh Wetlands, Oct. 2022 (1 Viewer)

Pedrambirder

Iran
Hi all,
Is there any Mountain Chiffchaff in these pics?

Attachments

• 20220308_085345.jpg
    20220308_085345.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 101
  • 20220308_085406.jpg
    20220308_085406.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 103
  • 20220308_085450.jpg
    20220308_085450.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 96
  • 20220308_085511.jpg
    20220308_085511.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 98
1st one looks like a Phylloscopus sindianus lorenzii indeed. The other ones are either eastern brown forms of collybita (abietinus), 2 and 4, with number 3 looking like a Siberian Chiffchaff (P. collybita tristis). Possibly also number 2.

1st one looks like a Phylloscopus sindianus lorenzii indeed. The other ones are either eastern brown forms of collybita (abietinus), 2 and 4, with number 3 looking like a Siberian Chiffchaff (P. collybita tristis). Possibly also number 2.
Could no.2 even be lorenzii? Lots of yellow on the bill base, something which seems to be a feature of young birds seen in Ladakh/Jammu and Kashmir.

Could no.2 even be lorenzii? Lots of yellow on the bill base, something which seems to be a feature of young birds seen in Ladakh/Jammu and Kashmir.
Images 2-3 (not as well lit as the 1st) appear to have rich brown (chestnut) crowns, not untypical of lorenzii, also image 2 appears to show almost pinkish tones to the lower ear coverts and throat, another pro lorenzii feature?

Cheers

a pinkish tones you mention are pro tristis. never heard they are lorenzii feature.
Certainly seen images “headed” Mountain Chiffchaff P.lorenzii showing pinkish tones.

Attachments

• 9CB75522-A9B3-430C-9F42-37F2385C288E.jpeg
    9CB75522-A9B3-430C-9F42-37F2385C288E.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 31
I had to put all the photos on a large screen Certainly all the first 3 are all the same species IMHO. All shoe the same features including the strong broad supercilium before the eye, almost meeting over the bill and the duller supercilium behind, the same bicoloured beak, Brown cap and the dull flanks. It is arguable that even the last photo is the same.

They all show variation due to lighting effects and camera settings I think, rather than variation in the bird(s) itself.

These all look to me like the Mountain Chiffchaffs I saw in Georgia.

I have to say none look like tristis to me.

Agree with Common Chiffchaff for the last 3. Even the first one could be just a CC, nothing really wrong against it.

Agree with Common Chiffchaff for the last 3. Even the first one could be just a CC, nothing really wrong against it.
Presume in your neck of the woods NE.Turkey?brown Chiffchaffs are the norm, or are they subordinate to the olive green birds?

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back