• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mouse ID needed, Poland (1 Viewer)

mikus

Can anyone offer any help with the ID of this mouse, photographed a couple of weeks back by the side of a canal in the North of Poland?

Attachments

• P1230477.JPG
    P1230477.JPG
    488.6 KB · Views: 28
  • P1230480.JPG
    P1230480.JPG
    424.4 KB · Views: 34
  • P1230494.JPG
    P1230494.JPG
    544.2 KB · Views: 35
  • P1230504.JPG
    P1230504.JPG
    847.6 KB · Views: 35
Thank you guys!
Are you absolutely sure though? Aren't the eyes and ears a bit on the smallish side for Yellow-necked / Wood and more fitting for, say, House Mouse (paler, yellowish variants of which also do occur)?

Thank you guys!
Are you absolutely sure though? Aren't the eyes and ears a bit on the smallish side for Yellow-necked / Wood and more fitting for, say, House Mouse (paler, yellowish variants of which also do occur)?
Contrasting white underparts rule out House Mouse which is essentially concolorous.

John

Contrasting white underparts rule out House Mouse which is essentially concolorous.
Right enough, my bad!
But then (sorry for being a pain and for only posting in the thread which I myself had started every few days - I've had a bit too much on my plate lately) what would make you go for Wood and so rule out Yellow-necked?

Right enough, my bad!
But then (sorry for being a pain and for only posting in the thread which I myself had started every few days - I've had a bit too much on my plate lately) what would make you go for Wood and so rule out Yellow-necked?
I'm probably stretching a bit here but in Britain at least Yellow-necked is a very bright animal with a distinct orangey tint to the upperpart fur while Wood Mouse is more of a dull yellowish-brown which is what I see in your photos. But I would prefer a look at the underparts, obviously.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back