• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mp3 & Photos - Unkn Empi Northern Wisconsin USA (1 Viewer)

SanAngelo

Recordings are from 4 June 2017 in the Park Falls Chequamegon National Forest Round Lake Semi-Primitive Management Area Northern Wisconsin USA.

Don't know if the song is a peek or pip.

The bird was approximately 30-35 feet up in the center tree of the attached photo.

It's a pretty dense forest. The trail circles a lake, cuts between another. No streams but plenty of blogs. It was a wet winter and spring. Lots of bugs and mosquitoes.

Attachments

• 30-35 Feet Up.jpg
    30-35 Feet Up.jpg
    765.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Unkn Empi-1.mp3
    450.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Unkn Empi-2.mp3
    227.9 KB · Views: 12
Best photos I got.....

Attachments

• Empi-1.jpg
    Empi-1.jpg
    556.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Empi-2.jpg
    Empi-2.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Empi-3.jpg
    Empi-3.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Empi-4.jpg
    Empi-4.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Empi-5.jpg
    Empi-5.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 19
The audios sound very much like a Least Flycatcher. The only empid with a similar che-bek call is the Yellow-bellied Flycatcher. But the habitat and especially nest location, a ways up in a tree, fits Least much better. Yellow-bellieds nest on or near the ground and make their nest mostly out of moss, so I think that species is out.

The first pic in the series is consistent with Least (significant eye ring), and the second pic might be although it's a little more iffy. The primary projection looks borderline too long. Pics 3 and 4 look like a different bird to me. There is little to no eye ring, and the primary projection looks long. Pic 5 looks like it could be the bird in 1 and 2 again, but I'm not certain.

It seems you had a Least from the habitat and the song, but the pics add some confusion.

Thank you sir....

All the photos were taken in the same area, no more than 20 feet apart. I can say for certain photos 2 through 4 are of the same bird.

Not sure about the 1st photo, the bird flew off and it was some time before "it" returned. I have other photos but they're blurry, my abilities are lacking.

As for the "nest", I'm not sure that's an Empid nest in the 1st photo I don't know what they look like. That clump of twigs were about 20 feet off the ground. Maybe it belongs to some other bird?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back