• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Munia, Spore (1 Viewer)

wuwu1277

Hi,: This photo was taken at Singapore in Aug 2020. can you pls advise ID of the bird on left? Thank you so much in advance 🙏

Attachments

• L001.jpg
    L001.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 22
It could be a juvenile White-headed Munia like the two adults to the right, but these Munias do form mixed flocks and it looks a little dark on the head, although it is quite rufous-brown on the body and tail. I would expect juvenile Scaly-breasted to show prominent gape flanges, but I think there's a stage in their development when these disappear before they attain adult plumage, so I can't completely rule it out. At that stage they're rather uniform brown, though, and they tend to have silvery-blue bills. It doesn't look like Javan, which I think is fairly localised. One other possibility is juvenile Chestnut.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back