• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Musselburgh Lagoons new scrape and hides finished (1 Viewer)

david kelly

Drive-by Birder
Scotland
The work on the new scrape and 5 hides at Musselburgh lagoons was completed yesterday and the new hides are now accessible. They are a bit bare just now but already the gulls, oystercatchers and few curlews using the site are using it as a high tide roost.

David

Attachments

• 2D061208-0798-45FA-8C1E-40D9DEC7DA3F.jpeg
    2D061208-0798-45FA-8C1E-40D9DEC7DA3F.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 46
  • C7F837FE-B0A0-4934-A52D-7A2FFC22C9D3.jpeg
    C7F837FE-B0A0-4934-A52D-7A2FFC22C9D3.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 45
The work on the new scrape and 5 hides at Musselburgh lagoons was completed yesterday and the new hides are now accessible. They are a bit bare just now but already the gulls, oystercatchers and few curlews using the site are using it as a high tide roost.

David
I am pleased to hear about the new hides and scrape. I would be grateful to know please, if possible, what the exact location of these new hides is. Please do you know for example, if there is a map to provide this information

I was looking for info on this site and came across a story from 2021 about a guy who wanted to build a motor racing track on the site. From what I can see East Lothian Council owns most of the land which is a good sign as you'd not want someone like this owning the land as it would give him leverage.

He sounds like a bit of a nutter when he responded to the 6000 objections by talking about "cannibal seagulls". I hope he's gone away.

I am pleased to hear about the new hides and scrape. I would be grateful to know please, if possible, what the exact location of these new hides is. Please do you know for example, if there is a map to provide this information
If you look at attached the new hides are at the ends of the little spur tracks in the western area, next to the river mouth.

The large grey area is the new scrape, there is a hide on the eastern side, three on the southern side and one on the western side.

2 1st summer Mediterranean Gulls and a Ruddy Shelduck there this afternoon.

David

Last edited:
If you look at attached the new hides are at the ends of the little spur tracks in the western area, next to the river mouth.

The large grey area is the new scrape, there is a hide on the eastern side, three on the southern side and one on the western side.

2 1st summer Mediterranean Gulls and a Ruddy Shelduck there this afternoon.

David
Many thanks! This information is most helpful. I look forward very much to going round this new scrape and trying out all five hides.

If anyone is still reading this 'thread,' would you happen to know whether it is possible to take a taxi back from Musselburgh to central Edinburgh?
Thanks—

Users who are viewing this thread

Back