• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My 1st unusual sighting!! (1 Viewer)

I'm really laughing at myself this morning about how darned excited I am.

I've set up a feeding area where I can sit in my comfy tv watching chair with binoculars and see who's coming to eat.

Well, I got rewarded today!!! A Pileated Woodpecker came and munched on the suet. We have lots of Downy's etc., but never one of these big guys. He was beautiful!

Guess I've got the "bug"....I didn't think something like this would get me so excited. :D Hope he comes back.

Just had to share....nobody else I know would understand the thrill.

scootnmini said:
I'm really laughing at myself this morning about how darned excited I am.

I've set up a feeding area where I can sit in my comfy tv watching chair with binoculars and see who's coming to eat.

Well, I got rewarded today!!! A Pileated Woodpecker came and munched on the suet. We have lots of Downy's etc., but never one of these big guys. He was beautiful!

Guess I've got the "bug"....I didn't think something like this would get me so excited. :D Hope he comes back.

Just had to share....nobody else I know would understand the thrill.

Hi ya Scootnmini

welcome to the forum and all that stuff.

Any new bird gets me ridiculously excited. Hope to read more about your birding adventures in Canada

Lucky you! I can well understand your feelings. I reckon any of your American woodpeckers are worth getting excited about. I've never seen Pileated, but would love to. One day....

Jason

I've had a pair of pileateds living in my neighborhood for a few years but have never had one come to the suet feeder... you're very lucky!! :) I would be just as excited if it happened here.
Welcome to the forum, by the way... hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us do.

Hi scootnmini,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators, let me wish you a big WELCOME to BirdForum.

You've found a place where everyone will be able to understand your delight, and I do hope your Pileated returns.

Keep us all posted!

:t:

Scootmini, do you think you can go to that Pileated Woodpecker and ask nicely if he can visit me down here? I've got to see one of them!

I can still recall my very first sighting of the Pileated. Though not as fortunate as your seeing it in your own yard but I was walking on clouds for a week afterwards.

A very warm welcome to you Scootmini

Scootnmini, I think my heart beat went up 20 beats/min when I saw my first Pileated Woodpecker. I still get excited whenever I see one.

Welcome Aboard!

Larry

What a great welcome....you are all so nice.

I'm hoping to see that pileated guy again sometime. I bought a special-made woodpecker treat I'll hang somewhere and I'll make sure the peanut butter dish is full....just in case he needs enticing.

This is fun!!

Cheers

Welcome to Bird Forum from N. Saskatchewan. I have pileated here too but never do they come to the feeders, suet and peanut butter you say? We leave a number of dead trees for them which keeps them coming back, they are notorious around here for attacking telephone poles.

I got a number of good views of Pileated Woodpeckers in Florida earlier this year and they are truly as good as they look in the books.

And you're right about the telephone poles. I had three or four such sightings.

An excellent garden bird. I still await a woodpecker on my bird feeders in the UK. I'll be just as excited when I do though....... :h?:

Matthew

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back